I/V using opamps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've always liked the OPA2604 too but sometimes its very difficult judging differences. I find you have to listen for a long time to get a true opinion.

Why do opamps colour the sound... well I guess when you think in terms of the discrete circuit each opamp represents and how different they all are then its no real surprise sonic differences exist, even though the specs suggest they should be very similar.

originally it was an ADSL driver I think, great care in layout needs taking, not the most DIY friendly package but can be managed. sounds quite well if handled properly, kinda needs output damping R or L, which complicated it a touch for lowZ headphone drive but not an issue here

Well, due to my own stupidity, I blew up two LM6181's yesterday. Sigh. I should have read this app note before playing with a current feedback amplifier:
http://cds.linear.com/docs/Design Note/dn46fa.pdf

The filter caps in the feedback loop of my IV converter made the LM6181's oscillate and get so hot that I burned my finger on them. I'm sure they are dead now.

It's not easy as far as I can see to limit the bandwidth of a current feedback amplifier. Some kind of prefilter is needed according to the app note. So, using current feedback amplifiers for limited bandwidth audio DAC's appears to be a difficult thing to do.

if your I/V R is larger than the min stable feedback R then you can add a series RC in parallel to give a shelving low pass - its a start

"noise gain" series RC to gnd at the input lets you use a smaller feedback
R, lowering, pushing out the "shelf"

in fact a quick sim showed a low enough Z "noise gain" input network stabilizes a LT1227 with pure feedback C - but that is in sim - depends on op amp output Z modeling which is often poor at CFA in/stability frequency

The only filter that appears to work is a big capacitor from the minus input to ground.

Attachments

• LM6181 IV.JPG
    LM6181 IV.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 534
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.