Link Between Marantz CD12 and Marantz CD99

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is one for the Marantz / CD experts!!!!

I just picked up a Marantz CD99 transport. The guy I bought it from said to me that it was really a Marantz CD12. After searching the net, I have found the following 2 photos that backup the original owners statement. Does anyone have any more info on the CD99 / CD12. The Transport is very heavy - about 15 KG's or about 33 pounds. Does anyone know when these were made new and what they would have cost new. I purchased this as a starting point of a DIY DAC with high end transport project. Have I bought something special, or is this thing so so?. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• sd991low.jpg
    sd991low.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 4,511
Marantz CD-99 is more like CD-95.

I notice difference between CD-99 and CD-95:

1. There is a toroidal transformer for power in CD-99, an EI transformer in CD-95.
2. Display color is white in CD-99, green in CD-95.
3. CD-95 have "0" - "9" number keys, CD-99 have not.

Sorry for my poor english!

Here's my Marantz CD-94. I bought it in very late 80's and although I had some othe rplayers in a meantime, I still keep this one. The Blue Book price on it is CAD $1,800, but I've seen them selling for $700 or more. Hard to find one too.

I made non-oversampling mod on it and improved output stage, as well as upgraded all the elcos, but external TDA1543 is still better. Will redo the whole DAC section inside and I hope it will improve more.

That's a one good transport, (maybe just a bit harsh, but this could be propbably fixed with better clock). I recently compared it to my $8,000 Technics Z-1000 and Marantz was preferred.

Attachments

• cd94.jpg
    cd94.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 4,357
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.