CD Player Output Directly Into Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an amp with a 22Kohm input impedance. I have directly connected an Oppo DV-981H to it with a great deal of distortion resulting. I would like to experiment with other CD players, particularly a modified PS1, but I'm concerned about the possiblity of damage to either. Isn't the 22Kohm input impedance high enough to not have any issues?

As John65b suggests, your trouble is too much signal amplitude. The vast majority of digital source components put out 2VRMS at full digital scale. Most amplifiers will be driven to clip by no more than a 1VRMS input amplitude, so that is almost certainly your trouble, and not an impedance mismatch.

Some audiphiles use their CD player or DAC without an active preamp. Instead, they use only a passive attenuator (volume control) to excellent result. Passive attenuators are usually (but not exclusively) either resistor based or magnetic autoformer based. A quick google search will turn up a number of commercial offerings, from diy, to a kit, to a completed unit.

Last edited:
The Oppo has a volume control, but there is still distortion at listening levels. The analog phono out L and R are connected to the L and R inputs of the stereo amplifier. I will look into a passive preamp.

I actually have piles of cd players. The Sony, Denon, Luxmans have adjustable line out, I have not tried these, should I?

Last edited:
The Oppo has a volume control, but there is still distortion at listening levels. The analog phono out L and R are connected to the L and R inputs of the stereo amplifier. I will look into a passive preamp.

I actually have piles of cd players. The Sony, Denon, Luxmans have adjustable line out, I have not tried these, should I?

Yes, try one of those other players. If the distortion goes away, there is trouble with your Oppo player. If the distortion remains, there is trouble with your power amp.

Also, take your Oppo to a friend or neighbor. Check it there.

In this case, without measuring equipment, only a try out is the only solution to rule out all the errors.

And yes, try other sources.

You can also connect your Oppo to a differnet line input on your amplifier. Maybe you have a TAPE / AUX input. Or maybe a VIDEO/TV input. Connect to it, and select the correct source. Is the distortion still audible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.