Could this be laser or solider issue?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could this be laser or solder issue?

My Sony CDP-XA7es plays fine when cold. Zero issues with tracking all the way to track 39 at the end of a disc. However, once it's warmed up about an hour, it will stop playing completely. The disc will stop and the TOC is gone. To reset this, I have to Eject the disc. It will then play again immediately for about a minute and then the same issue repeats. I hate to throw it out because it's like new condition. Is this really a laser failure or could this be something else? Thanks for your help.

**** Update ****

Stephensank was so kind to provide me some info and offer help with this player. I am still running some tests to ensure I provide the most accurate information to him and you guys.

I just played through a 55 minute CD-R on the player without an issues. I will do more playback tests to see how long it takes for the player to fail. Any other ideas on what may cause this is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
It's absolutlely NOT a bad laser, going by your description, and I have been in cd servicing since 1983. It is, however, a pretty odd problem, particularly as it will play for a minute after open-close while still warm. It's the kind of thing that I know someone like me could track down & fix, but would have to have the unit in front of me. It could be as simple as a cold solder joint or two on a cable that gets slightly flexed during load cycle, or could be much more obscure.

It's absolutlely NOT a bad laser, going by your description, and I have been in cd servicing since 1983. It is, however, a pretty odd problem, particularly as it will play for a minute after open-close while still warm. It's the kind of thing that I know someone like me could track down & fix, but would have to have the unit in front of me. It could be as simple as a cold solder joint or two on a cable that gets slightly flexed during load cycle, or could be much more obscure.

Where are you located? How much for you to take a look?

There may be trip circuits that set and reset parts of the machine in complicated ways.

The fact that the machine works again for a minute after a reload could be that the a trip circuit is discharged on reset, and then it takes that time for the fault to charge it up again.

Could be as simple as a dragging slide. This is a fixed-head Sony AFAIK, where all the gubbins come out with the drawer, so possibly a tripped radial error circuit is reset to enable the drawer to open.

Something goes wrong when it's warm. Not much to go on. My limited experience is that nearly all diagnoses of a bad laser are false.

Being an ES it is probably heroically engineered and worth saving. Someone with particular experience of these machines may be able to recognise the fault immediately.

There may be trip circuits that set and reset parts of the machine in complicated ways.

The fact that the machine works again for a minute after a reload could be that the a trip circuit is discharged on reset, and then it takes that time for the fault to charge it up again.

Could be as simple as a dragging slide. This is a fixed-head Sony AFAIK, where all the gubbins come out with the drawer, so possibly a tripped radial error circuit is reset to enable the drawer to open.

Something goes wrong when it's warm. Not much to go on. My limited experience is that nearly all diagnoses of a bad laser are false.

Being an ES it is probably heroically engineered and worth saving. Someone with particular experience of these machines may be able to recognise the fault immediately.

The XA7 has no 'trip circuits' or any other such fault sensing circuits of the nature you are describing. Having now looked through the service manual, I feel it most likely a connection fault between the main servo board & the spindle motor, which does involve flexible circuit-tape that it flexed in load/unload. The OP and I have been in touch by email about the unit.

The XA7 has no 'trip circuits' or any other such fault sensing circuits of the nature you are describing. Having now looked through the service manual, I feel it most likely a connection fault between the main servo board & the spindle motor, which does involve flexible circuit-tape that it flexed in load/unload. The OP and I have been in touch by email about the unit.

OK. Knowledge trumps logic. Thanks for letting me know.

The one minute between failures is harder to explain in that case. I would expect it to depend on how long the drawer is open.

I just fixed a mini Sony with the exact opposite problem: until hot it wouldn't play after an eject. After switching on and off it was OK for about a minute. I was just lucky, but I suspect that a leaking cap lowered the threshold at which the drawer-motor current tripped out the power supply to the laser sled motor, until the cap managed to heal itself. Nearly every chip could be disabled by several switches triggered by several events. I very nearly gave up.

Bigger Sonys are simpler, from what I have seen. Good luck.

My Sony CDP-XA7es plays fine when cold. Zero issues with tracking all the way to track 39 at the end of a disc. However, once it's warmed up about an hour, it will stop playing completely. The disc will stop and the TOC is gone. To reset this, I have to Eject the disc. It will then play again immediately for about a minute and then the same issue repeats. I hate to throw it out because it's like new condition. Is this really a laser failure or could this be something else? Thanks for your help.

**** Update ****

Stephensank was so kind to provide me some info and offer help with this player. I am still running some tests to ensure I provide the most accurate information to him and you guys.

I just played through a 55 minute CD-R on the player without an issues. I will do more playback tests to see how long it takes for the player to fail. Any other ideas on what may cause this is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Check out the RF-level while playing. If the level collapses clearly, you must replace the laser diode SLD104U itself, because the KSS-273A / KSS-274A is no longer available. Check out this threads:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...why-not-replacing-diode-only.html#post2040787
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...k-about-sonys-kss-optical-pick-up-series.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...uccessor-sld-104u-sony-esprit-kss-series.html

Last edited:

it is possible that opening the tray will let the cool air in to the player, just enough to put an offending part back in to operating mode....

...bearing in mind that the owner knows jack about fixing electronics (his words), I'd probably go with the whole mechanism replacement.

what tiefbassuebertr suggested would be good starting point to fault find - but it requires knowledge and equipment.

Boky

Hello,
i had a similar problem with my CDP-XA7ES and the fix was that easy..
I plugged all connectors on the servo board, which are reachable with only removing the top plate in and out twice...nothing else..
after changing the power cord to a simple coax cable (shield to safety earth) sound made a huge step forward...I think of opening a new thread for tweaking that great player...has anyone already made experiences on that topic?
regards, Philipp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.