Jolida FX Tube DAC - tube rolling / 5751s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Wondering if anyone has tried using 5751 tubes in their Jolida FX Tube DAC in place of the 12AX7's. My thinking is that there are more options on the 5751's and that they sound better - I realize that they have a reduced output level.

Basically wondering if anyone has tried any tube rolling in the Jolida FX Tube DAC.

Thanks!

Shawn -

Sounds good - I am doing the same... but for now just listening to stock. I ordered some tubes online (NOS) 12at7wa sylvanias and I am also going to place some 5751's in there when I find the right deal.

The mods are somthing that I heard can really improve the sound. Good luck and keep me posted.

I am using the Jolida between my Polk XRT12 XM tuner and the Logitech Touch. I would say that overall the result is favorable.... warmer tones and less harshness.

Cheers!

Hello Claude,
I am glad to hear you like the DAC. My system is similar, Squeezebox Touch, to the Dac, and into DIY tube gear. Are you using the optical connection or the co-axial? I saw that Underwood audio sell the mods as well as units already modded, they want $450 for the level 1 mod. I'll DIY it! They replace the output caps with Mundorf supremes, but if I have read it right the DAC now ships with Clarity Cap esa series. I see no reason to replace those, they are damn good sounding caps.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn,

Let me know when you do the DIY, I may do the same/similar.

To answer your question, I am using the coax. I heard time and time again that the sound is superior to optical.

I am going to add some DIY occ copper interconnects from the Jolida to the pre amp.

I am going to add the Sylvaner 12at7wa's tonight.

Will do, I ordered solid core silver shielded twisted pair for the signal wire. I decided to replace the output coupling caps with Clarity MR series, and ordered the Vampire RCA female jacks, all from parts Connexion. The cable was $14.95 a foot but I only needed a foot and a half. Jolida sent a message to me that these are on B/O so mine won't ship till the end of the month. The only info I don't have are the values for the 6 electrolytic caps in the output stage so I can't order those till it gets here. About the 5751s, I have 2 pair that I bought to try in my phonostage. In this amp the 12AX7s are actually in the gain stage, so although the 5751s sounded great it was too much loss of gain for that amp. Since the 12AX7s are in the output stage for the DAC maybe low gain won't be a handicap. I do like how the 5751s sound! Take care.

Cheers,
Shawn

Hello Claude, wanted to let you know I got the DAC, sounds pretty good stock! Well I have two good pair of 5751s so I rolled them in after listening to the DAC with some of my better 12ax7s installed. I really like the 5751s in this DAC, extremely smooth across the frequency spectrum, easy to listen to. My amps are all flea powered SETs so the difference in gain is a little much. But I am building a new 2a3 based pre-amp which should help. Except for the loss of audible gain I prefer the 5751s over the 12ax7s, and I have some really good 12ax7s. Now I have the DAC torn apart, already added the coupling caps, changed out all the 'lytics and replaced the signal wire. Putting in the Vampire RCA jacks is going to require a small amount of chassis surgery, gonna do that when I am off next week. Definitely give the 5751s a listen, they are good.

Cheers,
Shawn

Hi - hoping one of you can help me. Trying to find out what value the coupling caps in the Jolida FX DAC III are. I see they are 400V in the pics I am able to pull from the net, but I cannot tell how many uFs it is rated at. Shawn - can you share what you ordered, caps-wise?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.