How to clean the CD-laser lenses? With alcohol or without alcohol?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The vintage units need often deep cleaning. I used successful isopropyl alcohol in the past, but I heard also negative opinions. Some peoples claim that alcohol can damage plastic lenses or wash off anti-reflex coating. What do You think about? It's true or myth? What laser units are alcohol-proof? In what cases an alcohol is avoided?
f.

Isopropyl alcohol doesn't leave residues. Being a non-polar molecule it will NOT disolve ant plastic parts (they are soluble only in polar solvents like acetone).
As for "coatings", those are camera lenses, there no need for antireflex coatings. Those coatings are there in cameras because you can take pictures against the source of light (sun). Is no the case inside an optical player, so they are not coated.

IThose coatings are there in cameras because you can take pictures against the source of light (sun). Is no the case inside an optical player, so they are not coated.
This is Your knowledge or supposition (on laser lenses, not camera lenses)? The conclusion is going too far. Personally, I don't claim that the lenses are coated, but it's possible. Of course, the reason would be different.
Regards,
f.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
In the early days of CD, Sony issued a technical bulletin saying that Iso should never be used on "coated" optics which at the time had a bluey/green tint.

The bulletin was isuued for a reason as apparently lenses were being damaged by it in service.

Magic fluid?

36_1269457575.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've always used cotton buds (Johnsons finest... cheapo ones leave bits behind).

Tease the end out slightly and lightly moisten (not wet), then gently clean the lens using a slow spinning action on the bud. The lens should look clean and bright if illuminated with a bright torch.

Thoughts on this product for CD lens

I used to use CO Video cleaner, no longer available, some reason the can has leached out the gas and liquid

CRC brand also
CRC Air Duster Dust & Lint Remover 275g

DESCRIPTION:
CRC Air Duster Dust & Lint Remover supplies a powerful burst of compressed pure propellant gas to safely remove dust and lint from all delicate precision equipment and hard-to-reach areas. It is versatile and handy and should be part of every servicing kit.

Applications:
Recommended for use on electronics, PC boards, radio/cassette/CD players, keyboards, aerospace, avionics lenses, photography/optics, carburettor, jets, tuning equipment, microscopes and telescopes Recommended for offsite servicing when compressed air is not available

? could it be too much pressure?

With the co video cleaner i would spray on soft cotton bud *type that comes with the craig dexoit kit) and then use a dry one to gently wipe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.