USB Audio Interface

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a low cost USB audio interface with readily available parts. I've come across the TI PCM2900 series of devices. Are there any open source designs for these? One of my greater challenges will be marrying the USB audio with a Atmel ATmega32U4 on the same board via some USB hub. I did come across a really old thread with two PCM2900 in the same box. However, it did not appear open source and schematics were not there.

So I am looking for advice, insights on placing some USB hub chip and a one or more PCM2900 (or other USB CODEC) on the same board.

The application is not so much high end audio but amateur radio related. The micro controller is the interface between radio and PC for anything but audio. The ATmega32U4 doesn't have the horsepower to do encoding/decoding of the audio. Also, I'd like the audio portion to be as transparent (driver-less) as possible.

I have had a brief look. But it looks to be way overkill for what I am trying to do. Also, I am quite familiar with the ATmega line of devices, using AVR GCC or even Arduino. I am afraid there might be quite a learning curve to understanding the sdr-widget.

I am currently using some home built hardware that utilizes a generic PC audio card for audio input and output. For control it used the PC parallel port. I have to replace the PC running the repeater and requiring a proper parallel port sure makes things more difficult.

One thought is to keep the audio untouched (use PC sound card) and simply move the control portion onto a USB dongle. But it would be much nicer if the USB thing could be all in one and support both PC audio and control. Even better, if the control portion could incorporate all of the repeater controller logic as well.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.