DAC interference problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings all....

Ive just built up my DAC (PCM2902, DIR1703, PCM1730) and placed it in a nice 1U rackmount, etc.

Ive now got a very annoying problem with it.
Ive hooked up a led on the front panel to show the status of the DIR1703's UNLOCK pin (lit when recieving SPDIF data).

Every time there is some small disturbance in this rooms power supply (a light turning on, heater thermo turning on/off, turning the soldering iron on/off, etc), the UNLOCK led will go out for about 1sec (DAC stops working) and then continue like normal.

ATM im using the PCM2902 (USB "soundcard" IC) which then feeds the SPDIF signal directly to the DIR1703.

Anyone come across this problem before?

Thanks.

I've not had the problem myself but it seems to be enough.

Pehaps you should also consider the cdp to have the problem and/or the interface between them.

You could try a film or ceramic in paralell with the 4 2200uF and or an inductor in series between the rectifier and the smoothing caps.

Ok, thanks ill try those things.

Could grounding be a problem?

At the moment the chassis is earthed.
But the DACs ground is isolated from the mains-earth/chasis.

I thought this might help to reduce ground loops... but might it be causing this problem?

MWP said:
Greetings all....

Ive just built up my DAC (PCM2902, DIR1703, PCM1730) and placed it in a nice 1U rackmount, etc.

Ive now got a very annoying problem with it.
Ive hooked up a led on the front panel to show the status of the DIR1703's UNLOCK pin (lit when recieving SPDIF data).

Every time there is some small disturbance in this rooms power supply (a light turning on, heater thermo turning on/off, turning the soldering iron on/off, etc), the UNLOCK led will go out for about 1sec (DAC stops working) and then continue like normal.

ATM im using the PCM2902 (USB "soundcard" IC) which then feeds the SPDIF signal directly to the DIR1703.

Anyone come across this problem before?

Thanks.

Hi

Did you use an input transformer for SPDIF ? If so, the ground of the RCA / BNC input (SPDIF) should be galvanically connected to the chassis you build the DAC on

It is very likely to be a Common Mode problem inducing noise currents in the SPDIF interconect

regards

Re: Re: DAC interference problems

Guido Tent said:

Did you use an input transformer for SPDIF ? If so, the ground of the RCA / BNC input (SPDIF) should be galvanically connected to the chassis you build the DAC on

It is very likely to be a Common Mode problem inducing noise currents in the SPDIF interconect

Hmmm, ok thanks, makes sense.
Im not using a input transformer... i have no idea where to get one from :(

Ive switched over to optical SPDIF between the PC and the DAC now anyway, so the problem is gone.

But ill fix it anyway since it has the USB and Coax SPDIF ports on the back of the DAC that can still be used.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.