Marantz CD-50 and CD-60, TDA1541, CDM4/19

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
not as easy as that to use a std xtal!

You think those vcxo's are really 1ppm?!?!?! I doubt they are even even 1ppm ageing per year!!!

Read my clocking paper it has pictures!!! I'm sure I might have mentioned it before!!!
You can cut the feed to pins 2 & 4 by cutting the trace somewhere convenient! Just make sure you can re attach the clock feed!

For 7220 I pulled the old xtal and fired in 11.2 - I needed to remove some surface mount caps and resistor from the underside of the board first.
Do you have these surface mount bits underneath too ?

Don't know, can't remember from when I put in the DEM cap how the SAA7220 looked underneath the PCB(changed caps on TDA, but SAA is very close)

You think those vcxo's are really 1ppm?!?!?! I doubt they are even even 1ppm ageing per year!!!

Read my clocking paper it has pictures!!! I'm sure I might have mentioned it before!!!
You can cut the feed to pins 2 & 4 by cutting the trace somewhere convenient! Just make sure you can re attach the clock feed!

I actually have that PDF as a how-to even though I don't understand all of it.

Here I see my mistake in thinking /2 were for both pins on TDA
1. Cut the link between pin 2 & 4
2. Provide x1 clock to pin 4
*this could also be tied to GND as an option
*x1 clock may only work with nonA, S1 and S2 chips
3. Provide /2 to pin 2
*May only work with nonA , S1 and S2

Do you now know if it works with the TDA1541A?

Ok, I'm sorry if I come of as stupid with my many, many questions.

Are you suggesting connecting the clock to more than /2 pin2 & pin4 on the TDA? How and where? Except for SAA7220 & SAA7310 which I think I know how to connect.

No, don't worry, this doesn't affect the clock you're doing at the moment. It's just that you can use an additional BCK signal to drive the DEM, this could be the same speed as the one going to the TDA, or lower. I can't seem to get mine low enough and I discovered that lower speeds are available from that clock, should you need them.

With the 7220 powered and the clock added as you're doing it the results will be astounding, I don't know how much more will come with the DEM mods (over the cap) as I haven't got mine working yet!

Last edited:
Like this Andrew?
PICT0066_2.jpg

I think it was Walter Lowes from Canada.
No, the red lines are correct.

UV, what do you mean....vcxo's 1ppm and stuff ?
Bit lost with that bit...but I have had a lot of vintage port.

Did you do a clocking paper with pictures? Where's that ? :p
Was that you ?....lmao
Sure you ( we ) haven't mentioned it......

Actually I'm pleased you popped up, I'm about to maraud another alpha main board very soon so... once I've done the FC's around the single 5v reg is it unwise of me to use FC's all over the board ?
I notice you like ZA's in the 960 - is that the way to go around the servo etc ?
Hey, tell us how that 960 sounds btw...it's maxed out
Still tubed ?

Sorry May Day - off thread - maybe I should PM this phone call;)

Ok as standard,

Pin1 - Word clock 44.1khz
Pin2 - Bit clock try /2 if not /4
Pin3 - Data
Pin4 - Bit clock - data sheet say not connected. I think mine was at full clock. Some say leave connected as per pin2 some say gnd.

The main thing to do it the direct /2 to pin 2 then the DEM.
I'll take a look at whats going on tomorrow and confirm.

On a related subject, built up a 16.9344Mhz a 33.8688Mhz and a 24.576Mhz clock today for my Audio Aero! Can believe its got so many clocks!!!

Ok, so:

11,2 to pin4
5,6 to pin2
Cut traces between and cut traces comming in to those pins.
11,2 to SAA7310 cut trace comming in.
11,2 to SAA7220 fit clock as per instructions. cut outgoing pin9 from SAA7220 to SAA7310.

Am I correct so far?

EDIT: UV, you answered as I was typing this.

If it helps I had 11.2896 to pin 11 (7720) and another to pin 19 (7210).

I then only had /2 from the clock connected to pin 2 on the TDA.

(according to the 1541a datasheet pin 4 is not used in this configuration and can be left unconnected or tied to ground)

ooops - already answered! Everyone's on the ball tonight!

Ok, so:

11,2 to pin4
5,6 to pin2
Cut traces between and cut traces comming in to those pins.
11,2 to SAA7310 cut trace comming in.
11,2 to SAA7220 fit clock as per instructions. cut outgoing pin9 from SAA7220 to SAA7310.

Am I correct so far?

EDIT: UV, you answered as I was typing this.

Correct!

Andrew, I use Black Gate, ZA then ZLG in that order on Analogue rails. ZA's are out of production too. These are replaced now by ZLG. FC's are good before the reg as smoothers but I find them a little dry/brittle after the regs and for local decoupling. Some say that they take ages to settle in and that after a few weeks, they settle and fill out a bit. TBH, I've never left them in long enough to find out.

I used to use ZA on digital rails too but now I always use solid polymer :D

The 960 was amazing at its best. It all went wrong tho after I went I2S out into a remote dac (still the s2). I had done soo much inside the player, I was running out of space!! lol Valves only lasted a short while. I dont think the TDA signature needs valves to be valve like and the buffer I was using wasn't particularly good.

I settled on the single burson opamp as I/V and it had enough to drive the preamp input. less is ofter more!!

Last edited:
If it helps I had 11.2896 to pin 11 (7720) and another to pin 19 (7210).

I then only had /2 from the clock connected to pin 2 on the TDA.

(according to the 1541a datasheet pin 4 is not used in this configuration and can be left unconnected or tied to ground)

ooops - already answered! Everyone's on the ball tonight!

hahahaha:D

Pin 4 can also take 11.289 too if... pin 2 and 4 are separated ( trace cut )
TDA 1541A is fine with this - bu some TDA's are not apparently.
I've done this three times now and ALL were fine. ( with A versions )

When will you have this 60 running ?
A week....less ?

http://www.hifisounds.co.uk/CDPMods/Philips CD960 Mods List-compressed.pdf

Read this yet ?

Take a look - an education in pictures

LOL I wrote that!!!:D:D

Was quite a long time ago tho! did lots more than what's in that doc. Lots more PSU stuff and at its best, it had 17 decent regs ( I think!) and 4 additional transformers, lost count of the total uF in smoothers too! All Mundorf or AudioUpgrades SI. Lots of other stuff like silver mica in the HF stage. When I have time, I'll pick up on it again :)

Correct!

Andrew, in order I use Black Gate, ZA then ZLG in that order on Analogue rails. ZA's are out of production too. These are replaced now by ZLG. FC's are good before the reg as smoothers but I find them a little dry/brittle after the regs and for local decoupling. Some say that they take ages to settle in and that after a few weeks, they settle and fill out a bit. TBH, I've never left them in long enough to find out.

I used to use ZA on digital rails too but now I always use solid polymer :D

The 960 was amazing at its best. It all went wrong tho after I went I2S out into a remote dac (still the s2). I had done soo much inside the player, I was running out of space!! lol Valves only lasted a short while. I dont think the TDA signature needs valves to be valve like and the buffer I was using wasn't particularly good.

I settled on the single burson opamp as I/V and it had enough to drive the preamp input. less is ofter more!!

Are you kidding ?
Burson i/v to pre was OK....like there was enough gain ?
Passive or Active pre ?
This is interesting.

It's still a runner though - still your reference player ( ? ).. or is the Aero in front now ?

LOL I wrote that!!!:D:D

Was quite a long time ago tho! did lots more than what's in that doc. Lots more PSU stuff and at its best, it had 17 decent regs ( I think!) and 4 additional transformers, lost count of the total uF in smoothers too! All Mundorf or AudioUpgrades SI. Lots of other stuff like silver mica in the HF stage. When I have time, I'll pick up on it again :)

Ooooh....did you ? :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.