Marantz CD-50 and CD-60, TDA1541, CDM4/19

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just noticed thisreading back through the posts I've missed!!! I'm very keene to point out that I'm not a supplier. I do have a good relationship with Brent (who is also a member here) at "Fidelity Audio"/ "Audio Upgrades" and I have purchased lots of his products. I have no problem recommending him or his products.

I've offered to supply components to a fellow user here, sourced from RS in the UK at cost plus postage, as perticular items are proving difficult to source. I can do this only because I spend too much money on components and as a result have accounts with a couple of component suppliers.

My website is non commercial.....all this is just for fun! I have a pretty stressfull job in IT and this is one way I can switch off without completely switching off!!!:eek:

Just to say again, that although I wrote some of that document, it clearly references the sections that were not written by me!!!

You only offered to help me out to get some parts that I have a very hard time getting my hands on, and you clearly stated that I'd just pay cost+shipping to Sweden.
I really hope you didn't get any grief for being a good guy!

It's been an amazing transformation with the simple mods done so far :)
It's gone from being beaten by my USB-DAC to beating it :D

Tomorrow I'll get the caps(one for each player) for a simple DEM lock, also I think I'll swap the bipolar caps for MKP's...seems like a major operation to put the MKP between opamp and out bypassing the muting circuit.

Should get everything needed to make two regulators with dual green led's tomorrow or on Wednesday, Including dedicated trafos for each of them.
I know they'll be rather quiet from what I've read, but how close to 5Vdc do they need to be?
Is the regulator circuit I intend to use good enough to power a new oscillator (11.2896Mhz)? I've seen several on ebay that advertise low jitter etc, but don't have the experience to know what clock/seller to trust.
Do I need ferrite beads between PS and clock?

Hopefully I'll get the 1000uF low ESR caps to parallell the 3 non-TSU smoothing caps tomorrow or atleast this week.

When I get my pension on the 19th I'll get lead/rubber (self-adhesive) sheets to dampen the chassis.
I'll order 2pcs LM4562.
Possibly a new clock oscillator.
I'll pay you for the caps you so kindly offered to get me(470uF ZLH 10pcs and the ones for placing around the digital ciruits, SEPC?)
Also thinking of getting copper tape to shield IC's (connected to gnd).

I think I already mentioned ' Vintage Audio Lab ' clocks on E Bay - remember ? The Red One ?
It'll do 11.289 - 5.6 and 2.8 simultaneously from a single 1PPM TCXO.
It cost me £25.00 + about 3 for post and was here in a week.
Even UV mentioned it to you as being OK.
You won't find better at that price. Nearest one that does something similar is going to cost you... A LOT..actually..£175:eek:
It's a very good one though and you might even be rich - in which case buy 2 !!
No...buy 3.... and send me one !!

1PPM 11.2896 MHz Low Jitter TCXO Crystal Clock for DAC - copy and paste this - I can't do the link thing for some reason.

Andrew

I think I already mentioned ' Vintage Audio Lab ' clocks on E Bay - remember ? The Red One ?
It'll do 11.289 - 5.6 and 2.8 simultaneously from a single 1PPM TCXO.
It cost me £25.00 + about 3 for post and was here in a week.
Even UV mentioned it to you as being OK.
You won't find better at that price. Nearest one that does something similar is going to cost you... A LOT..actually..£175:eek:
It's a very good one though and you might even be rich - in which case buy 2 !!
No...buy 3.... and send me one !!

1PPM 11.2896 MHz Low Jitter TCXO Crystal Clock for DAC - copy and paste this - I can't do the link thing for some reason.

Andrew

I have that one on my watch list :)
I was thinking maybe I could get away cheaper and as good?? with a good PS and just a clock oscillator...just a thought.
But with that module I can get separate signals different Mhz to the different needs in the player, correct?
Why put it together myself if ready-made is better and cost-effective, never mind me over-reaching :rolleyes:

No no - this IS the one you need.

You can send an 11.289 and 5.6 to the DAC chip and 11.289 to the 7210 and 7220 from this unit.
You even have the 2.8 you'll need later ;)
It has decent on board rectification and regulation too - simple 10VA 9v - 12v ac transformer and your off.
I've bought from VALAB before and they are a top ebay trader - buy with confidence .

One last thing - I followed UV101's advanced re clocking paper to the letter using this very clock and the gain was VERY noticeable indeed.

( the paper that was not written by him nor belongs to him but is merely a collection of other peoples work in one useful sheet.....by UV101 ) hahaha:D

and thank god he did !

No no - this IS the one you need.

You can send an 11.289 and 5.6 to the DAC chip and 11.289 to the 7210 and 7220 from this unit.
You even have the 2.8 you'll need later ;)
It has decent on board rectification and regulation too - simple 10VA 9v - 12v ac transformer and your off.
I've bought from VALAB before and they are a top ebay trader - buy with confidence .

As luck has it, I've got two 1x9Vac 10VA comming tomorrow or the day after :)
Will get that clock then, but I'll have to wait until the 21st or something due to banktransfer time to ebay(get paid the 19th). I never use creditcard there, I pay with paypal balance.

Will the 10VA single winding 9Vac trafo really be to small for 7220 PS?

Personally, I think it'll get hot !!

I've got 50 VA for this - it's too big yes.. but it is a really horrible chip and needs a heavyweight to make it work.
Eventually it becomes the best chip in your machine after the power supply and clock job.
Once you prevent it from distributing clock signals and get it off the main ps rails it's fantastic at what it does to bass resolution, sound stage and analogue liquidity.
Like a very high end record player is what I can compare it too - without the scratches !

NOS is NOT as good as this - and I've tried both - for me anyway.
Others will disagree probably ( yawn )

Personally, I think it'll get hot !!

I've got 50 VA for this - it's too big yes.. but it is a really horrible chip and needs a heavyweight to make it work.
Eventually it becomes the best chip in your machine after the power supply and clock job.
Once you prevent it from distributing clock signals and get it off the main ps rails it's fantastic at what it does to bass resolution, sound stage and analogue liquidity.
Like a very high end record player is what I can compare it too - without the scratches !

NOS is NOT as good as this - and I've tried both - for me anyway.
Others will disagree probably ( yawn )

So you think the 10VA trafo might overheat?

Info:
red leads: 230VAC / 50Hz input
blue leads: output

Specifications
voltage: 1 x 9V
current: 1 x 1200mA
rated power: 10.8VA
weight: 445g

dimensions:
height: 52mm
width: 60mm
depth: 45mm

If that's your spec then it looks OK - I hope it's fine when you load it

' Will the 10VA single winding 9Vac trafo really be to small for 7220 PS? '

I really don't know why you asked me this question when you had the answer all along :confused:
In fact I think you asked it before a few posts back

Why don't you just try it and see what happens.
A lot of people here learned the hard way - y'know just trying things.

It's fun

One last thing - I followed UV101's advanced re clocking paper to the letter using this very clock and the gain was VERY noticeable indeed.

( the paper that was not written by him nor belongs to him but is merely a collection of other peoples work in one useful sheet.....by UV101 ) hahaha:D

and thank god he did !

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The first 2 pages are totally my work!! From Page 3 starts to incorporate the good stuff I collected here, then the circuit on the last page is what I settled on after trying lots!!!

Also, everything I collected I tried. What I found useful ended up in that document what I didn't like ended up elsewhere!!! :rolleyes:

Glad you're liking the improvements so far.

With the clock, you should get what you can afford. The eBay clock is excellent VFM and if you really want, you can power it from a decent reg later . It will definitely be an improvement. Any of these commercial clock are a pretty much a decent osc fed from a good quality regulator ;)

The expensive C2 clock is a very good regulator feeding the logic used to reduce the clock to /2 and /4 then invert as required. This very low noise regulator also feeds a high quality v-ref/reg for the 3.3v t the oscillator. There is no getting away from the fact that its an excellent clock for these players but its not in everyones reach from a price point.

Maybe everyone should all speak to :hohoho: :D

With respect to the transformer, it'll work for sure and I doubt it will even heat up but Andrew is right, shove a bigger TX on there. Headroom is the key. Hell I run a 160va on my DOS in my CD63:eek::eek:

Last edited:
If that's your spec then it looks OK - I hope it's fine when you load it

' Will the 10VA single winding 9Vac trafo really be to small for 7220 PS? '

I really don't know why you asked me this question when you had the answer all along :confused:
In fact I think you asked it before a few posts back

Why don't you just try it and see what happens.
A lot of people here learned the hard way - y'know just trying things.

It's fun

Not trying to nag, but these trafos are about £4 a piece.
Specs taken from webshop that sells them. I wish I could afford a 30 or 50VA toroid, but that's not the case.

If it's too small then I'll use it for the clocks instead and "steal" DC for the SAA7220 reg from a point before the regs on the PCB.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The first 2 pages are totally my work!! From Page 3 starts to incorporate the good stuff I collected here, then the circuit on the last page is what I settled on after trying lots!!!

Also, everything I collected I tried. What I found useful ended up in that document what I didn't like ended up elsewhere!!! :rolleyes:

Glad you're liking the improvements so far.

With the clock, you should get what you can afford. The eBay clock is excellent VFM and if you really want, you can power it from a decent reg later . It will definitely be an improvement. Any of these commercial clock are a pretty much a decent osc fed from a good quality regulator ;)

The expensive C2 clock is a very good regulator feeding the logic used to reduce the clock to /2 and /4 then invert as required. This very low noise regulator also feeds a high quality v-ref/reg for the 3.3v t the oscillator. There is no getting away from the fact that its an excellent clock for these players but its not in everyones reach from a price point.

Maybe everyone should all speak to :hohoho: :D

With respect to the transformer, it'll work for sure and I doubt it will even heat up but Andrew is right, shove a bigger TX on there. Headroom is the key. Hell I run a 160va on my DOS in my CD63:eek::eek:

C2 clock was a bit too expensive, haven't been that nice, and :hohoho: knows it ;)

I'll go with the Vintage Audio Lab one.

Yes, I really like what this cd-player can do with a little tweaking!

I'll try the trafos I've ordered, one for the SAA7220 and one for the clock I'll order asap.

It's an excellent dac! Plenty of potential. Separate regs for all 3 tda rails, 7220, 2 for raining 5v bits then 2 for output. Easy to implement dem to as there is a counter chip. All the regs are STD 317/337 but can be improved ;)

dac_small.jpg

IMG_5845Medium.jpg

IMG_5846Medium.jpg

The kits are excellent value for money. It will cost 2x the price if you try to source the components yourself. I ran mine off 2 transformers both 2x15vac) giving me the 4 rails. The regs will run fine even with a large voltage drop for the 5v stuff.

Entry level kit
TDA1541A%20overview.JPG

This one also looks interesting although the clock looks to be recovered from the SPDIF in this model. On the plus side the output stage is fully discrete!!

HiEND-TDA1541-DAC-CS8412-SAA7220-assembled-borad
P8214680.jpg

I think there are a few threads on here about the 1st one. I think its refered to as the green dac?

Last edited:
Got the Silver Micas today, do I solder them directly on to the chip (top side PCB) or to the pins on the bottom of the PCB?:
122pF_dem_caps.jpg

Just a quick question, this cap is to be left in there later on when I get the clock 11.2896Mhz /2 /4 ?
DEM cap has nothing to do w external clock? Or will I have to de-solder it later?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.