Micromega Solo CD Player - help!!

I have a Micromega Solo CD player which is not working. When turned on, it will start to rotate counter clockwise at first hesitantly and then faster. It happens with the lid open or closed ( a top loader) and also with a CD in place

I noted there is some slight vertical movement in the lens when it is turned on - but I cannot see the normal red glow on the laser when viewed from the side. Sometimes the laser assembly swings back and forth with CD in place.

I have noticed there is about 2-3 mm of vertical play in the spindle

It has a CDM4/25 transport fitted - I have tried cleaning the lens and checking all of the contacts. The 33uf cap on the servo board has been replaced - still it runs backwards!

I would greatly appreciate and advice and suggestions for sorting it out!

Regards Dave

spinning backwards happens if the 7210/7310 doesn't get a clock signal (i assume philips chipset because of transport). Maybe the 7220 doesn't work anymore (it generates the clock usually).

Start with checking the powersupplies on the chips. Then you need a scope to verify the clock towards the 7210, the eyepattern, output of 7210 towards the transport etc.

Micromega Solo

Hi
Thank you for taking the time to reply!

I cannot identify the 7210/73107220 you mentioned - please see the pic of the attached board. Sadly I do not have access to a scope! Looks like a small cap has been added - do you agree - or do you think its original?

Dave

Attachments

• P1030535a.jpg
    P1030535a.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 635
Hi

I cannot identify the 7210/73107220 you mentioned - please see the pic of the attached board. Sadly I do not have access to a scope! Looks like a small cap has been added - do you agree - or do you think its original?

Dave

look close to the dac chip, 7220 and 7310 will be there.

I know when 7220 not working then the player just spining fast.
I dont know if it related with your problem though.
This is a Marantz cd40 just to show were you find the chips.
The 7310 is at th bottom.

Attachments

• marantz-cd40-4.jpg
    marantz-cd40-4.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 490
Hi

Dave

They should be on the main board, not the one from the transport. If the powersupplies check out, it will be hard to fix it without a scope.

Micromega Solo Schematic

I have tried to find a schematic of the Micromega Solo and have not been able to locate one which make sorting it more difficult.

I would appreciate it if someone has one or who knows where one might be located!

I have attached a pic of the main board - has anyone seen one before? the chips do not seem to ties up with those mentioned

David

Attachments

• P1030546a.jpg
    P1030546a.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 571
Hi,

The large chip in the bottom is the decoder microprocessor. That's there.
There is no dig filter / dac; seems to be a transport only.

There is a memory chip on the left; MN4264. Usually used by a decoder.
So i'm guessing that the SAA7310 SMD chip is on the underside of the pcb.
The clock seems to be generated with the 04 in the middle.

The spdif out is made by the PCF3523.

There are more gizzmos visible, optocouplers and quite some powersupplies. Not easy to fix giving directions from here.
You need to find someone local who can figure this out. Should not be too difficult with the thing on the bench.

Guido

Last edited:
Looking at the mainboard I would say this is a full CD player, not just a transport. I can see what looks to be a very simple output stage and a pair of PCB mount RCA plugs at the back. If you flip the board over I think you'll find an SAA7310 decoder IC and probably an SAA7321 digital filter and DAC IC. I'd guess at this DAC based on the simplicity of the output stage (the SAA7321 has onboard I/V and buffer stages, no external opamps needed) and because Micromega used this DAC in other contemporary players.

I'd agree with Guido about the problem, though I'd be less specific. Loss of motor control is usually due to a fault in the decoder block. I've seen this problem caused by a loss of clock, a failed decoder IC and a failed motor driver. I'd start by looking closely at all three of these things, but unless you're experienced at troubleshooting these types of devices that's going to be very difficult.

What level of experience do you have, and what tools are available to you?

Hi Dave,

I have a Solo (somewhere) and for the purpose of your repair it is standard Philips. I'm fairly sure there are 7310 and 7321 located under the main pcb.

Mine has a small blue potted transformer mounted at the front of the pcb which powers the analog section.

Forget about a schematic from Micromega.

sp

Thanks to you all for the advice you have given - there are 7310 7321 on the underside of the motherboard !

Sadly I do not have the equipment, knowledge or eyesight! to identify and rectify the problem.

As I would like to get it repaired can anyone recommend someone in the UK ( preferably South West ) who can help with this.

I called in at a local repairer who advised it was not worth repairing and they would need a schematic - and no doubt charge a small fortune for looking at it.

Obviously I have no problem in paying someone competent to sort it

Thanks again for your help

David

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Its certainly worth repairing...

Has this player worked in the past ? What I am trying to say is, "is this a natural failure" ? or did you obtain the player already in a faulty state ? in which case the history is unknown as to what may have happened.

Hi

That was quick!

I bought it as requiring repair as I have had a Micromega in the past and know how good they sound!. As you have gathered I have looked inside to check it was nothing obvious and connections etc but not attempted any adjustments.

If I cannot get it going at least it is at least aesthetically pleasing to the eye!

I am amazed that no one has a schematic for this model - I dont think I have ever come across a situation where you cannot get any information on a CD player- I am not even sure what DAC and mech it should have in it!!

Thank you for your reply

David

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi David,
I actually have a MM Stage 2 and I know how good they sound too although I have (after 17 years with the Stage) just got a Marantz Pearl Lite. Service info for MM's is 99.99% impossible to obtain.

The trouble, is that you don't know if the fault is man made or not if the machine has a bit of history so to speak.

Have you actually measured all the supplies in the player as faults like this typically (hopefully) are usually something fairly basic.

From detailed pictures its possible to mark at least some things to check although it is clutching at straws a bit... but you never know.

Hi

I am not too sure what voltages to expect where !

Some of the joints look a little oxidised - I took the attached pic when I discovered the chips under the board!

Could the problem be caused by the failure of one of the transformers??

David

Attachments

• P1030560a.jpg
    P1030560a.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 461