Wolfson WM8740 DIR9001 PCM2706 DIY DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any more comments on the sound? I'm tempted to order one...
I have to say it was worth building it in spite of the final price because I purchased almost all parts new. If I did it again, I would try to buy just the PCB. All passive parts as well as stabilizers were either fake or poor quality. I am using it together with my headphone amp, and I have to say some of the files I have stored in AAC from the original CDs, sound better than playing traight from CD. Weird, haa? I don't have any fancy CDplayer but as far as I can recall the sound quality is almost as good as my Theta Miles CDplayer that I left overseas.

Finally finished my DAC.

Attachments

• WM.jpg
    WM.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 1,504
Thank you.
I didn't bother with anything fancy schmancy, everything is simple and straight forward. One of the transformers I already had, so I used it. New caps are Nichicon with high ripple current. Stabilizers are new genuine ST as I wrote before. I rather grabbed parts I already know, instead of experimenting with Elna and other names, I doubt they would be of any better. Less is sometimes more.

almost finished mine at last :) the only things left are EMI filter and chrome steel front plate...

-all psu caps replaced with FCs
-47uf Elna silmics
-10uf Elna tonerex
-opams to metal ones - LME49710HA

I will post few pics later. Used the dac with a few movies (1080p mkv and DVD-9 with DTS) and was very impressed and delighted with the sound in comparison with external Creative Sound blaster live. I would say the the difference is like you are listening to some mp3 of 128kbps and authentic CD on expensive and decent equipment!

Hi Dtses,
I havn't looked into who the seller of this is yet, perhaps one of the guys that had built it can give us that info?

It seems to make more sense to by the PCB and source you own genuine components, as opposed to using some of the suspect ones provided with the kit.

Dom

so how does it sound !?
I use mine almost everyday, the sound is simply superb. I want to do a blind listening test some day, to put my Theta DAC against this Wolfson and see the listener's response. This is not so amateurish design as it might seem on the first look. There are 13 stabilizers! Yes 13. I got lucky and grabbed 100% finished aluminum box that fits the PCB. So I thing this DAC is somewhere in production these days.

Attachments

• rear_side.jpg
    rear_side.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 1,165
Last edited:
well i bought one and it arrived today,so i have few questions if you can please help me,
did you ground the center tap on a 15v supply and what kind of driver are you using.
I just tested it, and my windows 7 64bit default driver is only giving me option up to 16bit /48khz sampling ?!
thanks

No, I didn't ground it. It's not needed, at least in my case. It's dead quiet. I just grounded main AC to the enclosure.
I also run win 7 64bit , I didn't install any outside driver. I am not sure how it works with resolution. All I see in my files is different bitrate. I don't see the actual ripped resolution whether it is 16 or 24 bit. Someone maybe can explain this to us how the playback resolution actually works. I am using MediaMonkey and all I see is different bitrate.

hi all,
Gee I had a problem on start up dir 9001 went to heaven in smoke ,my second lm7808 is getting hot ,I checked everything and have to think might have some bad parts or I fried them when I soldered them in,I have ordered a dir 9001 and checking v regs all the way out to the chip,
If you want one assembled and tested check along on ebay,This kit has some short comings,Some parts are not labeled as the board and you say O is this a 6.8n or a 68 n cap????like the board say 683 or 682?
The elna 's I have don't say cerafines on the side????? oscon caps maybe but computer grade smt ,not the blue ones pictured,the picture is not the parts I have in my kit ,most look generic,as I said it burned on start up so I hope it's worth the time to fix it to listen to It,ANYONE would make some voltage measurement for the 7808 that runs the 3,3 regs that would be appreciated!!!!!! It's just not right to label and then supply other parts,I have built a bunch of kits but no more from him. check prices I found several cheaper.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.