Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2012, 10:04 PM   #1691
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

Another first today: The SPDIF output on AB-1.13 is now up and running. It came straight up with no issues. I tried 24/44.1 and 24/192 content on a Burson HA-160d. Next I'll try impulse responses etc. just to check that everything adds up.

Follow my signature for links to AB-1.12/1.13 schematics.

One purpose of adding SPDIF out is to be able to record the digital output of the USB interface and check if everything is bit perfect. Any opinions or suggestions for test methods, please let us know.

BÝrge
Old 27th July 2012, 10:14 PM   #1692
zumbik is offline zumbik  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi all,
where I get a full parts list to AB1.2 ?

Zumbik
Old 30th July 2012, 09:52 PM   #1693
zumbik is offline zumbik  Europe
diyAudio Member

I want to upgrade my AB-1.2 with the Vanguard 0.3ppm.(24-576MHz & 22-5792MHz)
I found it on eBay.
Vanguard Ultra precision Golden TCXO, 0.3ppm 24.576MHz | eBay

Vanguard Ultra precision Golden TCXO, 0.3ppm 22.5792MHz | eBay

This will be a good idea?
Maybe someone has experience with the 0.3ppm?
Old 6th August 2012, 02:50 PM   #1694
diyAudio Member

Those XOs look very cool!

What you need in an audio application is low jitter. Long-term stability isn't really that important. There tends to be a correlation between good specs in one area and good specs in another. Feel free to install these babies in the AB-1.2 and tell us what happens!

I'll get the BOM uploaded. At the moment, all parts can be found in the schematics at Q N K T C USB-I2S Module and Analog Board

BÝrge
Old 6th August 2012, 03:52 PM   #1695
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

The Vanguards are not bad but the Crystek oscillators http://www.crystek.com/crystal/spec-...k/CCHD-957.pdf are 25 dB better at 1 KHz:
Vanguard: Phace noise: -125dBc/1KHz
Crystek CCH -148 dB @ 1 KHz

This would not be exceptional for exotic oscillators however the Crystek's are available from both Mouser and Digikey for reasonable prices in single piece quantities: http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...-957%20crystek Crystek Corporation CCHD-957 Standard Clock Oscillators | Mouser

In the same price range you can get the oscillators from Tent Labs which are similar to the Crystek's but in traditional cans.

Improving on these is a very expensive undertaking and probably not audible. However really good supply isolation and low noise is essential to getting the performance.
Old 6th August 2012, 04:02 PM   #1696
hochopeper is offline hochopeper  Australia
diyAudio Member

I actually tried to work out how to fit a CCHD957 onto the existing AB1.12/13 board layouts a few days ago, just looking by eye at photos of the pcb layouts I think they end up fouling some of the bypass caps and surrounding components potentially? Though I think the pad placement for the golledge parts lines up ok with the CCHD957 pads.

Last edited by hochopeper; 6th August 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 6th August 2012, 04:39 PM   #1697
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Borge would be the best for that. Changing surface mount oscillators looks to be quite difficult in general without some very special tools. You could add some short wires and float the oscillators above the board. Attach a bypass cap beneath them incase the internal bypass is not enough. The isolation from floating them may help since crystals are sensitive to vibration.
Old 6th August 2012, 06:45 PM   #1698
diyAudio Member

That, or you can dead-bug prototype them. Glue or tape them upside-down onto some free boards area and patch the wires onto the SMD pads of the Golledge XOs. Works with both SMD and pinned components. Just check if the case should be GND or float. And remember to put decoupling right onto the dead bug itself. Wires should be insulated and pushed tight to board/XO so that they don't create a loop antenna.

For my CD player I use the PCM1704 and am not bound to 2^n division rates. So I'll be using 13.0548MHz and divide by 34 or 37. It's off by +-92ppm but I can live with that, investing in one cool XO rather than two four the two conventional sample rates. Except Crystek don't make custom frequencies. NEL will do that, but they are very expensive.

BÝrge
Old 6th August 2012, 10:10 PM   #1699
diyAudio Member

Default Readme file

Several people find this thread very long and confusing. To sum things up a bit I have started on a readme file for the Audio Widget project. I hope it explains things.

This file is still a work in progress, so feel free to suggest changes to it. This first version is biased towards the AB-1.x hardware implementations I have designed. However, that is not a goal for this file.

BÝrge
Attached Files
File Type: txt AW_readme_20120807.txt (21.2 KB, 131 views)
Old 6th August 2012, 10:31 PM   #1700
oneoclock is offline oneoclock  Europe
diyAudio Member

Very good document.

Open-source USB interface: Audio WidgetHide this!Advertise here!