Magnavox fd1000 trouble shoot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Fd1000 same as philips cd100. It was playing just fine yesterday. But I noticed some odor coming from within. So I opened it up and noticed a whole lot of brown dust along the heat sinks. Took a brush and brushed it out, etc. Looked things over and pieced it back together. Plug and No play..Laser moves up and down but motor won't turn the cd. So I took it apart and noticed towards the back the 5 capacitors 2 are marked 1500uf and 3 are marked 2200uf. The 2 of the 2200uf's had sprung a leak.Nothing major but nevertheless. Anyway, this time when I did the plug and play, I noticed smoke coming from under the mechanism area and the swingarm jumping back and forth. Now its just sitting on the operating table waiting for some help. :smash:

OK, it should not be too serious or too much of a problem to fix.

Remember the patient is 30 yrs old!!

Basically, replace all the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply with new ones.
You don't need to go for fancy boutique caps. Like for like.

You also need to "wash" the circuit board to get rid of the chemical residue from the leaking caps. I use methylated spirits and a toothbrush.

Do that, recheck everything and she should be working again..

While you are in there, take a look at other electrolytics for signs of leakage or see if the top cap is bulging, even slightly.

Most of the electrolytics probably need changing but don't go mad in the first place or you'll end up with a dead machine and won't know where to look.

If you do replace more caps, remember like for like.!!
Some of the caps, especially some small 33uF , are sensitive to value and type. Replacing with the 'wrong' type can create problems.

I know, I currently have 3 CD100 / Cd73

Andy

Andy thanks,
...from the looks of it, the capacitors are definitely cooked. Just having trouble locating replacements. I essentially need 2 1500uf 25v and 3 2200uf 16v...given the dimensions, some are either too short or too tall. Has not been easy finding them from the same maker at least not where I have been looking, ebay/internet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.