Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

"Loudspeaker Management Systems" for home?
"Loudspeaker Management Systems" for home?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2011, 11:07 PM   #1
sprinter is offline sprinter  United States
diyAudio Member

Default "Loudspeaker Management Systems" for home?

I've been trying to figure out the best processing solution for my home stereo build. I just need a 2-way active crossover (digital) plus a decent digital EQ that can save and retrieve several settings. The market is bewildering for the uninitiated. The only such solutions I can find in a single box are the devices called Speaker Mangement Systems such as Behringer DCX2496, some dbx and BBE offerings, etc that some of you have clued me into. These are all marketed for commercial use for DJ use and such.

But why can't they be a good solution for a simple bi-amped system like what I want to build at home? It seems like the perfect solution unless I'm missing something. It seems like they would advertise them for home audio if they were. On some sites like B&H you can't even find the DCX2496 for example among the other consumer stereo gear.

Am I missing something here, or would one of these work well for my setup?
Old 6th March 2011, 12:04 AM   #2
MunkeyQ is offline MunkeyQ  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

They are indeed a good solution IMO. However, digital processors like the DCX need to be driven hard for to utilise the full resolution for maximum sound quality. I've noticed some people using passive attenuators on the output instead of doing it before the processor to keep the signal "hot" at low volumes.

Another choice would be an analog crossover like an Ashly, coupled with a digital EQ like Behringer's DEQ...more steps in the signal path though!

"Loudspeaker Management Systems" for home?Hide this!Advertise here!