"Loudspeaker Management Systems" for home?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been trying to figure out the best processing solution for my home stereo build. I just need a 2-way active crossover (digital) plus a decent digital EQ that can save and retrieve several settings. The market is bewildering for the uninitiated. The only such solutions I can find in a single box are the devices called Speaker Mangement Systems such as Behringer DCX2496, some dbx and BBE offerings, etc that some of you have clued me into. These are all marketed for commercial use for DJ use and such.

But why can't they be a good solution for a simple bi-amped system like what I want to build at home? It seems like the perfect solution unless I'm missing something. It seems like they would advertise them for home audio if they were. On some sites like B&H you can't even find the DCX2496 for example among the other consumer stereo gear.

Am I missing something here, or would one of these work well for my setup?

They are indeed a good solution IMO. However, digital processors like the DCX need to be driven hard for to utilise the full resolution for maximum sound quality. I've noticed some people using passive attenuators on the output instead of doing it before the processor to keep the signal "hot" at low volumes.

Another choice would be an analog crossover like an Ashly, coupled with a digital EQ like Behringer's DEQ...more steps in the signal path though!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.