Arcam Alpha 7 & CD8se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Thanks, on Z11 G-O is 3.4 kOhm and G-I is 5 MOhm. The G-O value fluctuates for quite a while before stabilising (but I guess there are other components acting)

The V drop across R124 is 3 V (rail is 18.3 and other side of L4 is 15.3 V)

The clock seems to suffer a dc offsett (max remains 5V but peak-peak shrinks).

Ok, lets assume R124 and the DC resistance of L4 makes 50ohms then from the 3V drop the clock circuit, the regulator and the preceeding cap multiplier are drawing 60mA. Passing that through an SMT transistor, I'm not surprised it gets warm !

By the way, did you make these measurements when the unit was cold or did you switch it off and measure after it started distorting ?

C38 and C62 are there to block the DC offset from the clock.

I'd stick a scope probe on one of the outputs of Z13 and watch it as the player warms up and the distortion starts then probe back through the clock circuit, be careful of loading the crystal though.

You've already ruled out dry joints presumably. You said you've changed the electrolytics but have you checked the resistors and ceramic caps in the clock circuit ?

Arcam 8se dac schematic needed

Hi guys,
even it's a rather old 3d, I am having the same problem with a Arcam 8se.
It sounds very distorted all the time (in my case) and Q6 becoming very hot.
My unit had some el caps in the +/-18 supply broken or leaky, I changed them and now power supply ripple is ok. I changed leaky C51 on dac board too, but it still sounds distorted.

I kindly asked arcam for service manual but I received no answer so I found it on ElektroTanya | Service manuals and repair tips for electronics experts but this one misses 8se dac schematic!

Before trying to change a slightly hard to find SM5864AP D/A converter chip, I would like to go on diagnostic but it is hard without a 8se dac board schematic.
Can someone help me?

Regards
Valerio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.