USB DSD DAC and ADC by ElectrArt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Bunpei!

& thanks for replying to my question ;-)

Yes, I can open the attached image but not the image link ... Interestingly, it seems that the AT1201 does not output any DSD data as the DSDL/DSDR pins are not connected ... So maybe he generates the DSD data inside the computer ...

BTW, it still looks as if the website is not up and running as I can't connect with it at all. Might you know about this, Bunpei - will it be up again at some point in time?

Also, I could be interested (don't know yet, though) in the UDA2 board - do you happen to know what it costs including the playaudio software?

And then a Happy New Year from the other side of the Earth :spin:

Greetings,

Jesper

The delta-sigma modulation type ADC chip, AT1201 has 6-bit delta-sigma modulated digital signal output other than an ordinary DSD signal output. However, the DSD output has a poor noise shaping profile. That's why both ElectrArt ADC and Ayre Acoustics QA-9 needed to adopt the similar design in which an external conversion mechanism from 6-bit delta-sigma signal to 1-bit delta-sigma signal is implemented on an additional FPGA. Charles Hansen of Ayre Acoustics revealed that it was based on a recommendation by ARDA Technologies. ElectrArt implemented a 6-bit to 1-bit converter of his own design.
A domestic price of ElectrArt UDA2 board kit is 28,500 JPY and AT1201 ADC is 59,800 JPY respectively. Proprietary software, PlayAudio and associated drivers is bundled to the hardware (no additional payment is required).

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Bunpei,

Thanks for the information about the electrart product & prices & also the clarification on the AT1201 1-bit converter's quality. Quite interesting that the AT-1201 preferably would need an external converter to get optimal noise-shaping for 1 bit conversion output ....

Anyway, I hope to see Electrart's webpages up and running again so that more information may eventually be available. I think these are interesting products.

Greetings,

Jesper

Hello Bunpei,
thanks for this good introduction and decription. For me it's always a bit hard to understand his google translated site (also I was not aware of his blog before..). The AT1201 really seems to be a good (and customizable) chip, also used in high end devices like Merging Horus and DAD AX32 (if I got it right). Also a corresponding DAC was announced years ago, but didn't see the light until now: Arda Technologies - AT1401 Flagship Audio D/A Converter), disappeared from the starting page.
Did you separate the analog and digital power supplys? Was it you who wrote about the use of an USB isolator? Did it really bring better results (measurements?)?

regards,
Martin

PS Are you from Japan? I've very good memories, beeing 2 weeks in Tokyo. Unforgetable, quite another world, really! :)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Martin,

... I take the liberty of "inserting" a short post here saying that your comment about the Arda AT-1401 is indeed very interesting news. About half a year ago I communicated with one of the engineers at Arda who told me that its was now (then) on hold, however, can see that it is now here. And looks like an R2R ladder DAC ... Look forward to seeing when it gets picked up in the audio world ...

Thanks for the info (& as a side comment I really hope to go to Japan ;-))

Cheers,

Jesper

Hi Jesper,
that was perhaps unclear: I doubt that the DAC is available, also I didn't find much googling it. Yes, it's on their site but not on the start page. But let us hope it will come some day and it's not totally abandoned! I got the impression that they are a very small development lab, not comparable with Burr Brown and the like..
Martin

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Jesper,
that was perhaps unclear: I doubt that the DAC is available, also I didn't find much googling it. Yes, it's on their site but not on the start page. But let us hope it will come some day and it's not totally abandoned! I got the impression that they are a very small development lab, not comparable with Burr Brown and the like..
Martin

Hi Martin ... yes I can see that it is not mentioned on their webpages if I enter them directly and go to the "products" page ... :( Nevertheless it looks very interesting to me - could be a direct replacement of the PCM1704 yet with better data and directly usable with just a low value resistor on the output as they suggest. Wonder why the have put it on hold ...

Well, so it is ...

Regards,

Jesper

I couldn't resist ordering the ADC board, it does output a signal via SPDIF (DSD I can't test at the moment yet), but I have a huge DC offset in both channels of about -70dB (RME Digicheck shows it and also software which does DC removal, and one also hears the plops, and of course it limits the dynamic range massively). I guess my board is defective (not aware that I did something wrong) :(, unless I missed something. I wrote to Mr. Tariki of course, will see what he says...
Bunpei, did you check for DC offset?
Martin

PS And I don't understand the meaning of the small DIP switches on the board like "MBO" yet.

Ok, just discovered that MBO means multibit-output of course, the one which is exclusively used in that design. And I had to learn that there's no high pass filter inserted intentionally, so the offset is quite normal and should be removed within a software. Will play around again if I have time.

Looks not bad specswise (besides that the DC offset is quite obvious), at the moment powering only through simple switching wall warts, however in the bit stitistics there are toggling and even invalid marked bits...

Attachments

• dc.gif
    dc.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 396
  • dc2.gif
    dc2.gif
    54.7 KB · Views: 379
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.