Marantz CD-5003 Mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally!

Finally, I have began the modification in my Marantz
CD5003. Kindly tell me if I can replace the ICs NJM2068
by AD8620 or LM4562. They are pin equivalent.

At the same time upgrading another player where the IC
is NJM4580. Can this be also replaced by one of the
above ICS.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Roushon.

from datasheet, NJM 2068 input bipolar, AD8620 jfet.
people in diyaudio, say that LM4562 is good op amp, but bad performance if using as unity gain.

This op amp for filtering high frequency, safe and cheap choice using NJM2114 ( as marantz cd17 or cd6000).

Thanks Adhiyasa for pointing out the differences between the ICS. I am getting
OPA 1612 which is input bipolar to make the replacement. Hope it is OK.

Regards
Roushon.

I have come to posses one of these Marantz cd5003 players. Having sold my YBA cd player and got rid of my cd collection this gift of a cd player seems to suggest the universe is wanting me to reconsider my position.

Looking at the user manual I find that this player appears to be well designed with nice circuits and components. And why shouldn’t it.
https://www.vintageshifi.com/repert...ge.php?pdf=Marantz-CD-5003-Service-Manual.pdf

I don’t see much reason for jumping in with a soldering iron. Yet it fascinates me to see how people can’t keep away and sooner or later they are modifying the unit.

Do these mods really make much of a difference ?

I do remember auditioning three different cd players when I bought my YBA and the differences were subtle. But it was hard to move down after hearing a good player. What are the key factors that determine the sound?

Just for fun, I could bypass the analogue output stage with some tubes :D
Balanced-Ouput DACs and Tubes and Aikido

Last edited:
I heard the cd player today for the first time, through a couple of tube amps and a SIT amp into Alpair 10p Pencils. I heard it native and then just the digital out through a fancy multibit DAC. It was obvious that the external DAC was better sounding - clearer, especially in the treble. In fact it sounded really good with the external DAC. I can at least conclude that it’s a good cd player when used as a transport.

Had another listen today. This time on my Big'un speaker (Audio Nirvana Auper 15 Ferrite). I compared with the internal DAC and the external DAC (called Ganna in the photo). The difference was similar, the main change is in the treble. This time I felt the treble a little forward with the external DAC - the room is all hard surfaces. And I found it preferable to listen using the internal DAC even though clarity was very slightly less. I've developed a respect for this old Marantz player.

(apologies for the sideways photo - the forum software is rather dumb on this topic)

Attachments

• CD with-without extnl DAC.jpg
    CD with-without extnl DAC.jpg
    590.8 KB · Views: 167
My main plan is to simply use it as a source whilst I finish some projects. Long term I imagined all my music needs to be met by an internet subscription service but until then I will use what’s on hand. I would like to hear how it would sound with a tube analogue output, maybe a simple benchtop experiment sometime.

I’ve not knowingly heard a playback chain using a 1451. The external DAC I had tried with the CD player employs a now obsolete true multibit DAC chip with a transformer tube output finely tuned; the BOM cost around $2k.

Last edited:
if you have 30 or 40 $/ € hanging in your pocket, find you a philips cd471 or cd473 (with remote control)
get rid of all that is useless, hack it into NOS mode and have fun with it.
i can tell you in mp what i have at home as a cd player
and yet, my everyday reader remains the hacked cd471.

clock and regulator schematics attacched. Enjoy!

Hello I am also Italian and my name is Michele....
I am upgrading my Marantz CD5005 . You can see here that

Marantz CD5005 Upgrade Clock
I have already done lots of modifiation. The sound is now for me superb. maybe I have to do still the modification with the Mute circuit...

Anyway I write you because I want a low jitter clock and Guido tent told be that its clock is not compatible with the low power supply of 1.8 V of teh IC 27 CDCE913PWR.

Do you sell also your clock? Did you notice an improvement with the new clock? Which ic the max Vpp that CDCE913 accept as input?

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.