Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Marantz CD-5003 Mod
Marantz CD-5003 Mod
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2019, 03:51 AM   #31
Andersonix is offline Andersonix  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Marantz CD-5003 Mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
What are the key factors that determine the sound?
The silence of the +12,-12, and +5 volt supplies.
Old 8th April 2019, 03:46 PM   #32
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Marantz CD-5003 Mod
And the assumption I'm going to make here is that there are pin compatible voltage regulators available today which surpass the performance of those available to Marantz
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 12th April 2019, 12:29 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Marantz CD-5003 Mod
I heard the cd player today for the first time, through a couple of tube amps and a SIT amp into Alpair 10p Pencils. I heard it native and then just the digital out through a fancy multibit DAC. It was obvious that the external DAC was better sounding - clearer, especially in the treble. In fact it sounded really good with the external DAC. I can at least conclude that it’s a good cd player when used as a transport.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 14th April 2019, 06:45 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Marantz CD-5003 Mod
Had another listen today. This time on my Big'un speaker (Audio Nirvana Auper 15 Ferrite). I compared with the internal DAC and the external DAC (called Ganna in the photo). The difference was similar, the main change is in the treble. This time I felt the treble a little forward with the external DAC - the room is all hard surfaces. And I found it preferable to listen using the internal DAC even though clarity was very slightly less. I've developed a respect for this old Marantz player.

(apologies for the sideways photo - the forum software is rather dumb on this topic)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD with-without extnl DAC.jpg (590.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 14th April 2019, 06:48 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Marantz CD-5003 Mod
this stretch it horizontal method to fool the forum software is less than ideal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD with-without extnl DAC copy.jpg (24.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 17th April 2019, 03:21 PM   #36
huggygood is offline huggygood  France
diyAudio Member

and what are your plans for this cd player?
I happen to have some "for coins", but I do not keep them,
I love my tda 1541 too much even if an external dac is often better,
nothing is as close to vinyl sound as a 1541 NOS direct output mode on I / V resistance.
Old 18th April 2019, 02:27 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Marantz CD-5003 Mod
My main plan is to simply use it as a source whilst I finish some projects. Long term I imagined all my music needs to be met by an internet subscription service but until then I will use what’s on hand. I would like to hear how it would sound with a tube analogue output, maybe a simple benchtop experiment sometime.

I’ve not knowingly heard a playback chain using a 1451. The external DAC I had tried with the CD player employs a now obsolete true multibit DAC chip with a transformer tube output finely tuned; the BOM cost around $2k.

Last edited by Bigun; 18th April 2019 at 02:30 AM.
Old 18th April 2019, 10:10 AM   #38
huggygood is offline huggygood  France
diyAudio Member

if you have 30 or 40 $/ € hanging in your pocket, find you a philips cd471 or cd473 (with remote control)
get rid of all that is useless, hack it into NOS mode and have fun with it.
i can tell you in mp what i have at home as a cd player
and yet, my everyday reader remains the hacked cd471.

Marantz CD-5003 ModHide this!Advertise here!