Newbie question: Replacing KSS-213c in Audio Aero Prima

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hello all,
I have spent the better part of the last two days reading and learning from your wonderful forum, but am in the need of a little help/guidance.

I have an Audio Aero Prima cd player that uses a Sony based transport (not sure which one and can not get an answer from the manufacturer). What I do know is that it uses a KSS-213C laser assembly.

Over the last couple of months, it has been having increasing difficulty reading discs. Initially CD-Rs and older CD, and now even new CD's can't be read or skips frequently. From what I have read here it sounds as if the laser is failing. With a little internet research I found that the KSS-123 variants are relatively inexpensive and easy to source.

So my question is this: how hard is it the change out the laser assembly? Is it generally plug and play?, or after replacement is there a recalibration process required that is beyond the average DIY? And finally, is it sometimes just easier to replace the whole transport with the laser assembly if you are not experienced the electronic repairs?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    350.3 KB · Views: 158
  • photo(4).JPG
    photo(4).JPG
    380.5 KB · Views: 145
You should replace the entire assy,around 15-20 bucks, and no calibration needed. Be careful not to damage the disc platform on the new spindle motor, they are flimsy and the metal plate can slightly separate from the plastic, causing the disc to wobble. Ask me how I know.
You have the hard part done already, removing the tray. The ribbon cable just pulls out of the connector, it's a friction fit.
Pay attention to the support springs, they are different front to back.
That's all I can remember.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.