MHZS CD33E Blue tube light going out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The blue light illuminating one of the tubes on my CD33E player appears to be going out. It's on for the first few minutes after I turn on the player, then it blinks for a bit, then it goes off. The next time I turn the player on it starts all over. The player plays fine otherwise. I'm wondering if this could be caused by something other than the lamp itself? Should I be worried that this might be a symptom of a bigger problem developing. Thanks!

That is just a blue LED light.
Don't know if it is similar: I had a cheap car CD player with blue LED illuminated face plate that was doing the same. The LED's (or their driver) where heating up and turn off after 30 seconds. Didn't care to fix it... Eventually stopped working altogether.

Thanks for the reply. Just so I'm clear, are you saying its the LED because you're familiar with the electronics of this unit or because you believe it's probably similar to the CD player you describe? I'm hoping to get an answer from some that knows this unit well so I can have peace of mind. :)

I realize there is no blue light in a tube and I know that there is an LED underneath the tube. Thank you for your response but this is not new information.

I'm looking for someone that is familiar with the circuitry inside this player to tell me whether the LED could be going out as a result of something else in the unit going bad. Is it just a bad LED or are there other possible reasons behind the issue? Once again, everything else seems to be working fine but I want to be sure this is not a possible symptom of a bigger problem that's just starting to surface.

I'd also be curious to know if anyone familiar with this unit knows where to get a replacement LED?

Thanks to all.

Even without knowing the particular piece of equipment it's possible to say that it's unlikely that it's indicative of a serious developing fault. The LED and associated series resistor are in parallel with one or more other components across some voltage amongst the supply voltages inside the unit. It's possible for the series combination to fail due to e.g. a dry joint or an actual component fault without the functioning of any other parts being affected. As you say, nothing else seems affected.

w

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Just get the meter out and measure the volts across it when it fails :) I would guess around 3 volts or so for normal operation... if it goes high the LED is going open circuit, if it drops it's either the LED or the supply at fault.

LED's are available from any component retailer... and any LED of any size/colour will work to prove the fault. Make sure you fit it the correct way around.

I have a Mhts 33e player with the same issue , for quite some time when powered on
it starts to blink then goes out ! I do think its only the LED itself . I realy did not what to go into the player with a soldering iron ,so what I did was just put some electrical tape over the socket ( neatly ) then put the tubes threw the tape . The light cant be seen and shouldn't harm anything . Hell , they can both go out for all I care !
The Chinese do like there bllling !! Im also trying some different oamps rolling !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.