DAC question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am thinking of building a tube based kit to replace the op-amp stage in my cd player. Like Modifying CD player DAC circuits and the lampizator etc.
I'd probably first do a FET based one then tube based I think.

Anyway, I also have a good many nice amps that have good phono stages as well as tube amps with tube based phono inputs.
Could I pull the signal from the output pins of the dac inside the CD player, send it to the phono stage in the tube or SS amp and get the same result ?

Thanks in advance.
Cool.
Srinath.

I am thinking of building a tube based kit to replace the op-amp stage in my cd player. Like Modifying CD player DAC circuits and the lampizator etc.
I'd probably first do a FET based one then tube based I think.

Anyway, I also have a good many nice amps that have good phono stages as well as tube amps with tube based phono inputs.
Could I pull the signal from the output pins of the dac inside the CD player, send it to the phono stage in the tube or SS amp and get the same result ?

Thanks in advance.
Cool.
Srinath.
You can't do this for several reasons:
- The output pins of the DAC are in most cases current outputs, not voltage outputs. The internal circuitry converts current to voltage, you can not bypass it.
- A phono stage has frequency equalization (RIAA) compatible with a phono record and cartridge. You would need a flat frequency response, like a line input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.