Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Sony X5000 troubleshooting
Sony X5000 troubleshooting
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2018, 06:51 PM   #241
Salar is offline Salar  Germany
diyAudio Member

Another question:
Today i checked the X5000 against a Philips CD-304MKII, a Twisted Pear ES 9018 Buffalo DAC and a simple HiFimeDIY ES9018K2M DAC wth Sabre9601.
Technology that was developed within three decades.
I played a silence signal (to prevent the relais from muting) to check if there was any noise from the units themselves.
I then ramped the volume of my 40W amp all the way up to check.
To my very surprise, the X5000 had some noticeable hiss, even with some distance from the speakers.

The Buffalo, the HifiMeDIY and even the 34 year old Philips were dead quiet!

The Buffalo has a shunt regulated power supply, blame it on that, but there is nothing special with the Philips. It has the same voltage 78xx/79xx type regulators as the Sony X5000.
Also the circuitry of the Philips are theoretically worse than the X5000 because digital , analog and servo share the same power supplies / voltage regulators. You cold not sell this
kind of layout to any serious audiphile in the late eighties anymore...

Anyway, I then checked the X5000 in Pause and Stop modes to find out that the hiss ist still there, unaltered. So no silent signal needed, powering the X5000 on is sufficient.

Could anyone check the noise floor of his X5000 to another player? XA50 ES should work as well...
All the best,
Salar

Last edited by Salar; 6th February 2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 16th February 2018, 08:17 PM   #242
Stereohans is offline Stereohans
diyAudio Member

This machine seems to be a never ending story, old friend. I'm glad mine doesn't have the click problem at all. And also its little brother, the 3000, runs well.
More serious problems I have with a number of SACD players. Seems like the mechanics in those machines are much more complicated...

Greetz, Hans
Old 27th February 2018, 09:01 AM   #243
Salar is offline Salar  Germany
diyAudio Member

Anyone out there to test the noise level of his X5000 to any other digital source?
Again, no signal needed. The X5000 simply needs to be turned on without a CD being inserted (or the CD In Pause or in Stop mode).
For the comparison: Old CD-Players will probably have relais that mute the output and will be therefor silent. So they cannot not be used for comparison.
Modern players, musicservers or dacs do not use relais and are suitable.

Sony X5000 troubleshootingHide this!Advertise here!