Cd spins like crazy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unless you've done something really strange, I doubt any particular part is faulty. Uncontrolled spinning of the CD means that the spindle motor control circuit isn't working, possibly due to a loss of clock to the SAA7210 / SAA7310 decoder IC.

What model of CD player are you using? What exact modifications did you do to the CD player? Can you post some photos of the CD player in it's current state?

Player is a Philips cd210.

Mods:
replaced filter capacitors/checked: ok
replaced opamps+bypass/checked: ok
non oversampling/checked: ok
connected 7805 regulator to main filter capacitor (with wires, my aim was to feed the dac)/checked: cd spins like crazy:eek:
removed 7805/checked: cd spins like crazy:eek:

Attachments

• 210a.jpg
    210a.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 226
  • 210b.jpg
    210b.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 217
Before you connected the 7805 reg have you disconnected the original supply? This is a bit "tricky" - I hope you did it properly. I usually cut the track(s) and feed external supply as close as possible to section that needs it.
Also, have you connected the common of the 7805 to common on the PCB?

Boky

Boky, actually I didn't connected the reg to dac, I just soldered it (through wires) to main filter capacitor. Common of the 7805 connected with capacitor minus leg. Then I checked the player before feed the dac with the new supply and the cd started to rotate like a catherine wheel :confused:

SAA7220 dedicated +5V regulator chip wrong way – solved

Thanks to all contributors to this (old) discussion – and anyway the whole community here. The thread helped me solve a glitch that occurred when I did the dedicated SAA7220 power regulator mod for my Philips CD371 with TDA1541.

To do this this, I created a mini PCB which I soldered on wire stands into free wholes in the main PCB – I but placed the LM317T in the wrong direction. Then had the motor spinning like crazy... I wondered if I had broken the ribbon connector. thanks to this thread I could quickly find the fault.

I am not sure yet if I do hear any improvement with the new regulator (takes +9V from C2515) from the status as freshly recapped-uprated. I finished the recap yesterday and left anything else factory style.

eschenborn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.