Slowing Adcom motorized volume pot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know if it's possible to slow the motor driving the volume potentiometer on an Adcom GCD-700 CD Player? If so, can you explain how?

Very difficult to achieve accurate volume levels with the remote because the potentiometer motor is just too fast. Nothing wrong with the remote.

Thanks for any help you might send my way.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Add two (or combinations of) diodes in series to the motor. Each single diode drops 0.6volts. Resistors are to dependant on the friction of the motor and will give inconsistant results :)

Attachments

• Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 134
I'm trying to achieve the same result, but I'm misunderstanding exactly where the diodes need to be placed. If I only add one diode, would it be inline on the negative side of the motor (blue wire)?

Thanks for any more details you can provide -- I'm definitely a novice at this.

Just figured it out. After a little figuring, it doesn't matter where I add the diodes (either positive or negative side) so long as I added two diodes wired up like Mooly's diagram (two in parallel, opposite directions). Then those go in series on one side of the motor.

I ended up adding them to the positive side, since that's the side of the motor facing top on the GTP-500ii so it was easier to solder to it. I have six diodes in series and one diode facing the other direction in parallel. The negative side of the six in series is attached to the positive wire and the positive side of the six is attached to the motor. Electricity flows through the six to slowly turn the volume up. When volume is turned down, the polarity is reversed to turn the motor the other direction, so current goes through the motor and the one diode facing the other direction -- so turning the volume down is still rather fast.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.