Source digital signal out of Marantz CD84

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,
ive got a CD84 and I like the rock-like-construction of the mechanix. At least until I can upgrade the transport, I'd like to know how to source the digital signal out of the player to use it with an external DAC.
I uploaded the service manual which contains the schematics:
RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
My guess were the two lines from J180 to J501 (schematic page 21).
Is that correct? If so, what do I do with the connections between J202 and J502?

Thanks a lot,
Herr Grau

There is no easy way to get a digital output from this player. It can be done, but the process is complex, not as simple as connecting a couple of wires.

Have a search for threads about the chipset used in this player (the Philips SAA7000, SAA7010, SAA7020 and SAA7030), you'll find a lot of discussion on this issue. You're not the first one wanting a digital output from this type of player.

The quick answer to this question (and any Philips / Marantz player using the early chipset and TDA1540's) is...No way to do it.

As AMC184 says, there are threads on here but it takes a lot of extra logic chips etc. so it's not worth it.

Look for a Philips CD 304 MKII (not MKI) . It has the same mechanism, a heavy metal chassis and the later chipset with SP/DIF output. But it also has a TDA1541 DAC so why use an external DAC????

Andy

unless you are familiar with CPLD/FPGA's

I'm actually 80% of the way through a project making a board that converts the SAA70x0 chipset's propriety bus into I2S. The design wasn't hard, but it wasn't quite a piece of cake either (not for me, anyway).

I'm using the Xilinx XC95xx family of CPLDs. The VHDL design is done and workbench validated, and the PCBs have been ordered. I've just got to assemble and test (hopefully).

That's the advantage of CPLD based design though, if you do muck it up you can just reprogram, rinse and repeat.

It's certainly something I'd consider. It just depends on how much interest there is.

I've designed the board as an extension to a Colpitts oscillator board I had designed previously, since it already had the PSU and clock generator (and you need a clock generator if you want to do much with the converted signal).

Attachments

• CBC A1.jpg
    CBC A1.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 77
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.