Inside the Onkyo ND-S1 Ipod Transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ipod touch 3g

Here is my experience. Read all the way through, you have been warned.

My ipod touch 3g (purchased in August 2010, just a couple of weeks before the latest version was released) worked... for a while. I can use the touch controls on the ipod screen when it is docked in the S1.

Syncing with a Mac connected is questionable. The S1 manual says Windows, with no mention of Mac OS X. When I tried to sync with iTunes on my macbook, everything locked up.

In the first hour of operation, no music. I BELIEVE, but do NOT know for certain, that this was a problem with my DAC and my construction thereof (It was a DIY project). I do not think it has anything to do with the S1 transport. I will confirm today when I use a different DAC.

That's all for now. I will check back after I try to run a new set up. The new set up will consist of : ipod Touch 3G (summer 2010)--> ND-S1 --> Gigaworks 'big' DAC --> Millett hybrid headphone/line stage --> Decware DIY tube amp (2 Watt, SV83 tubes) -> Klipsch Heresy

ryan

The Green component is available from the video socket on the back which would be composite video in the earlier iPOD's. So it is technically possible to get component video out of the NS-D1. If you want to play video podcasts or digital copies it is far easier to buy an Apple component video cable and plug that in.

If only the NS-D1 had the On Screen Display circuits that are built into Onkyo's DS-A3! That would save reading the iPOD's 6 cm screen from 2-3 Metres away. Incidentally the IR codes from the DS-A3 are compatible so some of the extra commands can be programmed into a remote control and used to control the NS-D1. For example the Menu, Up, Down, and Enter commands from the DS-A3 seem to work on my NS-D1 via the Logitech 555 RC.

My NS-D1 goes into a modified DACMagic and does wonders on the iPOD for lossless and high bitrate tracks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.