Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Inside the Onkyo ND-S1 Ipod Transport
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2009, 01:00 AM   #11
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The big deal with this Onkyo box is that it is much less expensive than the Wadia.. Looks like the hot tip to for spdif output from an iPod. (I know it is not the optimum solution, but it has to be a big improvement over the iPod's analog outputs which IMO sound execrable when connected to a good system.) It looks well executed and for this kind of money I can't really pass it up, I'll probably be getting one within the next couple of months.
Old 31st December 2009, 04:36 PM   #12
stephensank is offline stephensank  United States
diyAudio Member

Sadly, the Onkyo looks five times more expensive inside than the Wadia. First time I opened up the Wadia, both it's owner & I said "So, the $400 must be just to cover the cost of paying Apple for the rights to access direct digital output on the ipod connector." It's just looks cheap as hell inside. And, since they sandblasted the numbering completely off the total of three large-ish chips in it, including the one doing the digital output spdif conversion, there's no way to know if the horrible harmonics on the spdif waveform are caused by the chip or by the DC-DC converter(which they had run the spdif output trace STRAIGHT past, within a mm or two, but replacing that trace with a shielded line only reduced the garbage a tiny bit), without disabling the DC-DC converter & directly supply the +/- rails to the rest of the unit. Adding an enormous, overkill amount of energy storage/filtering cleaned up the signal just a bit more, so I do think the translator chip is largely to blame, but budget did not allow enough experimentation to say for sure. Simply replacing the external crappy SMPS 12V power unit with a high grade linear supply had ZERO effect on the waveform quality, so problem is positively internal to the unit, at least. At least with the Onkyo, the chips are identifiable, and thus allows for thoroughly informed upgrading. I really HATE companies that grind numbers off chips. It's anti-piracy, I know, but it's also arrogantly having the company say to the buyer "Oh, we'll NEVER go out of business, and you'll ALWAYS have our service support on our crap."
Old 31st December 2009, 11:22 PM   #13
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Audiophile tax... big companies that also mass-produce consumer products like Onkyo charge less of those.
Old 31st December 2009, 11:53 PM   #14
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensank View Post
Sadly, the Onkyo looks five times more expensive inside than the Wadia. First time I opened up the Wadia, both it's owner & I said "So, the $400 must be just to cover the cost of paying Apple for the rights to access direct digital output on the ipod connector." It's just looks cheap as hell inside. And, since they sandblasted the numbering completely off the total of three large-ish chips in it, including the one doing the digital output spdif conversion, there's no way to know if the horrible harmonics on the spdif waveform are caused by the chip or by the DC-DC converter(which they had run the spdif output trace STRAIGHT past, within a mm or two, but replacing that trace with a shielded line only reduced the garbage a tiny bit), without disabling the DC-DC converter & directly supply the +/- rails to the rest of the unit. Adding an enormous, overkill amount of energy storage/filtering cleaned up the signal just a bit more, so I do think the translator chip is largely to blame, but budget did not allow enough experimentation to say for sure. Simply replacing the external crappy SMPS 12V power unit with a high grade linear supply had ZERO effect on the waveform quality, so problem is positively internal to the unit, at least. At least with the Onkyo, the chips are identifiable, and thus allows for thoroughly informed upgrading. I really HATE companies that grind numbers off chips. It's anti-piracy, I know, but it's also arrogantly having the company say to the buyer "Oh, we'll NEVER go out of business, and you'll ALWAYS have our service support on our crap."
IMO Only sad for the fellow who bought a Wadia over the Onkyo, it's nice to see something this well made at an affordable price point, and sounds like it is better engineered as well..

Unfortunately a passion for good sound and good engineering and manufacturing practices are not mutually inclusive, at least in some parts of the high end.

Last edited by kevinkr; 1st January 2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 1st January 2010, 12:06 AM   #15
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwenze View Post
Audiophile tax... big companies that also mass-produce consumer products like Onkyo charge less of those.
No, it goes much further than that, it speaks to core competencies and available resources.
Old 1st January 2010, 12:09 AM   #16
FAA is offline FAA
diyAudio Member

I agree that the Onkyo looks more expensive and well engineered than the Wadia..Found some photos of the Wadia..

Click the image to open in full size.

Modified Wadia 170i
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by FAA; 1st January 2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 1st January 2010, 01:05 AM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

Casting a jaundiced eye on the layout that certainly is not one of the best I have seen. The lack of segmented groundplane (ground currents should not be allowed to flow randomly in the plane) is rather interesting and not particularly good practice by current standards.

The problems you observed with the design may have more to do with poor layout practices than any inherent design flaw, but without a lot more detail it is impossible to know.
Old 19th January 2010, 09:17 PM   #18
Horizons is offline Horizons  United States
diyAudio Member

Just ordered one of these from Japan.

Based on the design, does their appear to be any advantage of the optical vs. SPDIF out?

It appears that the USB is actually an input so you can sync your ipod to iTunes while it is connected to the Onkyo. It would be cool if it included USB out but I guess you can't have it all, especially for under $200.
Old 20th January 2010, 05:19 PM   #19
stephensank is offline stephensank  United States
diyAudio Member

Personally, I've always found even a basic quality coax rca digital cable sounds better than any optical, but optical can be good for avoiding ground loops, especially if interfacing with a computer.
Back to the Wadia, yes, the groundplane design is pretty abominable. In fact, when I replaced the spdif out line with a shielded silver cable, I first took the ground for shield & output jack from a ground point nearest the drive chip. This had the effect of making the spdif output mysteriously shut off whenever any disturbance happened on the ac mains line(like shutting off/on a power amp on same ac line), a problem which disappeared when I took the ground from the jack location, remote from the drive/proc chip.
Old 23rd January 2010, 01:41 PM   #20
wilbur-x is offline wilbur-x  Tibet
diyAudio Member

As I just bought the Onkyo ND-S1, this thread is of high interest.
Please advice if this engine has modification/tweak potensials.
(Clock/regulators/caps etc). I'm pretty newbee in this matters, so your explanations & replies are most welcome.
From this thread it would appear that the analogue section in PCM2704 is not activated.
Could this be a opportunity to make a digital pre and/or a headphone amp?

Last edited by wilbur-x; 23rd January 2010 at 01:44 PM.

Inside the Onkyo ND-S1 Ipod TransportHide this!Advertise here!