Help!!! Marantz/Philips CD50, CDM4 Spins but does not Read

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have got a Philips CD50 (it's the same as Marantz CD50) with CDM4/19, SAA7310, SAA7220p/B, and TDA1541a. It was functioning perfectly, before I decided to replace the caps. Now, the player will detect and spin the CD, but will not read the tracks and stops after a few seconds. If I press PLAY again, it will spin the disc again and stops. The display would show 0:00 (instead of showing ERROR, which it is capable of). I have 2 working (tested in another player) CDM4/19s, and both had the same symptoms on this player. I checked all my solder works, the directions of each cap I replaced, and all the voltages. I used mostly Nichicon UHEs for the bigger caps and polymers near all the ICs. I did increase the values for the caps a bit, but faithfully used the 33uf and 47uf in the servo section. I did not touch the 4k7 and 22k adjustments prior to the malfunction and did do some adjustments afterward, but none worked.

Anyone has the faintest idea about the problem?

From what you've said, it sounds like the player is focusing, but failing to pick up the lead in track or read the disc table of contents.

Two questions:
- Did you do the capacitor replacement at a static safe workstation?
- Did you lift any pads or tracks while desoldering and removing the old capacitors?

If your answers were "yes" and "no", try following the troubleshooting tree diagram in the service manual, including using the service modes. If you don't have the service manual, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

From what you've said, it sounds like the player is focusing, but failing to pick up the lead in track or read the disc table of contents.

Two questions:
- Did you do the capacitor replacement at a static safe workstation?
- Did you lift any pads or tracks while desoldering and removing the old capacitors?

If your answers were "yes" and "no", try following the troubleshooting tree diagram in the service manual, including using the service modes. If you don't have the service manual, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Thanks! PMed.

You put the player into service mode by holding down both the 'Stop' and 'Play' buttons while turning on the player. Seeing as it sounds like your player is focusing on the CD, I'd go straight to section C.

You didn't answer either of the questions I asked last post...

You put the player into service mode by holding down both the 'Stop' and 'Play' buttons while turning on the player. Seeing as it sounds like your player is focusing on the CD, I'd go straight to section C.

You didn't answer either of the questions I asked last post...

Oh,

Yes, I was very careful (wrist band plus couching the case) with static. I lifted two pads in the main supply section but reconnected the traces with the leads from the caps. I test the continuity and voltage afterward and found no problems.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.