Marantz CD42 repair and mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After leaving the player running all day again, it sounded wonderful last night. Vocals are brought forward and it's superbly musical.

I then took out the 39pF caps from the DAC outputs. Huge result - loads clearer from top to bottom. The treble is now quite clear and the detail levels have jumped up! A superb and free tweak.

Simon

I got my cog / gear from Hong Kong, which I fitted this evening. Quite an easy job, and the draw moves nicely once more. However, the "open" button doesn't close the draw like it does for most cd players - is this a feature of the CD-42 or a glitch? The draw closes perfectly when play is pressed.

I might fit those os-cons in on the v-ref locations tonight, as previously mentioned.

Simon

I've done the V-ref caps. Changed from nasty 10uF ones to 68uF Os-con SA. Seems better but I've not listened to the player much lately so I'm guessing here.

With the iron warm thought I'd also do the op-amp decouplers. They were 100uF caps. I've gone for cheap 1000uF/35V caps to see how that works. But now I've seen a couple more I want to change...

Been listening to this player again and finding the treble a bit too veiled and in need of a lift.

I've put schottky diodes in place for the +-15V power supply (output stage). This brightened things up but gave me a slightly brittle effect. I think that's what shottkies can do unfortunately, you take the rough with the smooth.

In need of further quality I decided to put the RAM chip on its own regulator - just a 7805. This seems to have cleaned things up quite nicely! The treble, in particular, is quite a bit better.

I'll get some pics soon. I may stop here as it now sounds quite decent.

A few pics :)

Just a few final shots before I sell this player on. It does sound good now, but I'm sure it could use a nice clock and better power supplies.

Simon :spin:

Attachments

• PICT2467-1024.jpg
    PICT2467-1024.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 262
  • PICT2462-1024.jpg
    PICT2462-1024.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 243
  • PICT2466-1024.jpg
    PICT2466-1024.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 238
  • PICT2458-1024.jpg
    PICT2458-1024.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 237
  • PICT2463-1024.jpg
    PICT2463-1024.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 230
Hi Matthieu,

I sold the CD42, for very little money. The new owner is very happy with the sound - he got a bargain IMO.

I don't know about the sonic effects of improving the RAM chip supply because I didn't do a cap there in isolation. I may have done a reg and IIRC it got smoother but I don't well remember right now!

Removing the 39pF caps was DEFINITELY very positive.

I've actually got a CD52 I bought to repair, listen to and perhaps mod and sell on... I might do different mods and I'll post about it on here. I've not listened to it yet.

Simon

Hello all - as the happy owner of the Marantz, I can give Simon full marks! The sound is open and clear and his work really paid dividends. I'm using it with a nice DAC from Hong Kong and I'm delighted with my bargain! The DAC is the one Fikus raves about on his Lampizator site.

Hi Simon - always work to be done! The DAC is from BiglawHK and it's really very crisp for "live" jazz & classical stuff, though I still prefer the modded 42 for rock music. The CD42 sounds very good compared to the CD67 and CD65DX, which were both highly regarded. How's the CD63 coming on?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.