input NE5532 replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear sir,

in my amps, I have NE5532AN as input (right after the rca plug). If I would like to have improvement in sharper imaging, darker background, and less sibilance.

Can I just do direct replacement of the NE5532AN with dual opa211 since both of them are bjt input?

Or do you guys have another opamps that I can replace the NE5532AN directly and get improvement?

Thanks a lot.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If you search these forums you will find lots of threads on this.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/search.php?searchid=231169

Still favourite for me is the OPA2604... very musical, no stability issues, perfect for replacing the NE5532.

Even the TLO72 would be a surprising improvement musically if the rest of your system is able to highlight the differences. If you don't believe it :) fit a socket and try some.

In 99.9% of application replacing with a FET input device will not cause any problems.

Last edited:
No Sir Kroto, not 2111
but 2 of the new opa 211 in brown dog adaptor, which the dual version of that is 2211.

I'm not the expert nor do I have the knowledge of changing opamps, but I would like to know if this can be a direct replacement of the ne5532.

And what kind of improvement will I get? I'm using this for my midrange amplifire.
Will it give me blacker background, sharper image, and less sibilance?

Sorry for not having the knowledge, for I'm just gonna try.
if It were needed to be modified in the circuit, I hope it won't be a lot.

Thanks a lot

sorry, I don't know the meaning of sibilance(I don't meet the meaning in the dictionary).

from the datasheet, OPA211 is a very good OpAmp, better than OPA134, this will not cheap. but there is no harm to change NE5532 with OPA2211 (or OPA211 w/ brown dog adaptor).
NE5532 and OPA2211 is pin interchangeable.

high slew rate is more comfortable with high freq' operation(more in detail).
And I think, even TL072 is fairly good for midrange. why dont you try TL072 first? if this doesn't meet your classification, try the other(your OPA211).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The LM4562 would be a natural to consider for replacing a 5532, comparably quiet with improved parameters in all areas.

You should post the schematic of this amplifier before anyone makes a recommendation about changing op-amps. I do not know whether this device is used for buffering/filtering ahead of the actual power amplifier or is actually the error amplifier for the power amplifier itself - in the first instance changing the op-amp should not cause an issue, in the second it very well could cause instability and oscillations.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.