Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Radford WS1 CD Player
Radford WS1 CD Player
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2009, 01:28 PM   #1
JMPires is offline JMPires  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Default Radford WS1 CD Player

Hi,

I'm from Portugal and i'm new on the world of Modifing and Tweaking.

I have, from months, a CD Marantz 60 modified with a Philips CDM4 and a TDA1541A DAC.

The CD 60 have a beutifull sound, very natural and precisious. All acoustics instruments and voices are simple gregorius. Jazz, ethno, world music... , but i also listen heavy metal and this kind of music have high frequencies. I think that the DAC with high frequecies get a liltle confused.

Recently i aquired a Radford WS1 CD Player. What can i do to get him better?

The seller told me that the drawer sometimes doesn't open and said that the problem may be fixed just by replacing the drive-belt or replace the mechanism altogether. Where can i find this?

All the best
Old 6th October 2009, 04:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Anyone?

Thanks
Old 8th October 2009, 10:00 AM   #3
mathewhayden is offline mathewhayden
diyAudio Member

Woodside Electronics web siteĀ (August 2002): Radford audio products have been produced since the 1960's when the STA range of Amplifiers was launched along with the DSM pre-amplifier.

The series 3 STA25 along with other Amplifiers in the STA range won critical acclaim. The Mk II and Series 3 Amplifiers used a unique pentode phase inverter that was a joint venture between Dr A R Bailey and Arthur Radford and was the subject of a detailed article in Wireless World.

However Arthur Radford's greatest love was for his loudspeaker designs and the rear termination of drivers. After many years of work he eventually took out a Patent in conjunction with Dr A R Bailey for the first transmission line loudspeaker. This system was the basis for all his larger designs and is still used by many well-known Manufacturers to this day.

At the peak Radford had four factories employing 160 personnel producing metalwork, painting, printing, transformer and PCB manufacture all in house.

As he approached retirement he wound down the Company and ceased trading in 1989
Old 11th October 2009, 07:17 PM   #4
tubenut is offline tubenut  South Africa
diyAudio Member

From what I have read, the Radford CD players were Philips based, likely same chipset as CD60.
It may perhaps use the CDM2 mech with a hall motor which is better then cdm4. The radford is likely to be a tweaked type player with better psu and maybe differnt op amps.

For all these chassis that use these chipsets putting a separate regulator on the SAA7220 filter yields good results. Soft recovery diodes, especially on analohue PSU is VERY worthwhile.

Why not mod one of the two players to NON O/S, you may like it on some or al lmusic.
Old 11th October 2009, 09:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Lovely diecast cdm1 mkII it seems

http://hometheaterreview.com/-radfor...ayer-reviewed/
Old 11th October 2009, 10:17 PM   #6
theoldtrout is offline theoldtrout  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I may be wrong but this transport may suffer from the same problem as the CDM4 and its variants, that is the plastic pulley loses the teeth from the pinion part. I've replaced quite a few of these, I bought them from a guy in China who sells on ebay. I've done a couple of the Quad CD players that use the same transport. Very easy to change if you are familiar with repair work. Take the Radford player to an Engineer if you are unsure.
Old 15th October 2009, 09:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply's.

The problem of the drawer i think i can fixe it. I already done the first clean up and it get better. Now i need to lubrificate him.

My problem now is with the laser. I don't know where to find a laser to fit there. I think that the transport is a CDM1 MKII and i think it's equal to my Marantz cd 60, but i don't know what laser i can search...

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

I'm from Portugal and have a friend that take a look inside the CDP and i already bougth from eBay 2 x LME49710 Audio Opamp - Single version of LM4562 to replace with original.

The CDP already have a fantastic sound. After the change of OpAmps my friend that already change to this OpAmp's on their Marantz CD63 KI, told me that the sound would gona be much better.

Next step is to change the clock. Any advise on this issue?

I'm a biginner on Mod's, but with the help of my friend, i'm learnig and enjoying.

Regards
Old 29th October 2009, 11:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I didn't find find the 33uf philips cap. I cleaned all the lens mechanism, removed the outside plastic and clean the insid lens with carefull. I think it is better, but the problem could be on cap's. Now it plays CD-R to, but sometimes the time on screen keeps passing and don't give any sound to amp. When it hapened i opened the drawer, close and pull the standby button. It song again.

Sometimes it send to amp some electrical noises. Last saturday when i openned it and take over the CDM1 MKII mechanism i clean some of the dust of the board and it played 4 Original CD's without problems.

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Thanks
Old 29th October 2009, 12:32 PM   #9
jmateus is offline jmateus  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum, JMPires.
Nice pictures....

Jmateus
Old 29th October 2009, 02:08 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I think on this machine there is a separate PCB mounted below loader mechanism. If there is such a pcb, it contains the laser PSU and the cap you are after.
Also clean and relubricate the clamp "pressure" plate.

Radford WS1 CD PlayerHide this!Advertise here!