unsolder cs8414 out of pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have this cs8414 which is soldered to a pcb salvage from harmon kardon computer satellite speakers. Has anyboby any idea on how to unsolder this soic chip without damaging the chip?
I hope to use it for another non os dac and may a 24bit 192khz dac perhaps.

TONI

Thread an enamel wire under the entire IC body. Tie one end off an use the other to apply pressure to one of the outermost legs as you heat it with your iron. You will pull the wire out under the leg as the solder melts, freeing that leg. Repeat down the row until an entire side is free, then do the other side of the chip.

The only thing to watch out for is pulling too hard and applying pressure in the wrong direction. As long as you are careful the legs won't be too bent. (Don't overheat the chip, but that isn't usu. a problem.)

Thread an enamel wire under the entire IC body. Tie one end off an use the other to apply pressure to one of the outermost legs as you heat it with your iron. You will pull the wire out under the leg as the solder melts, freeing that leg. Repeat down the row until an entire side is free, then do the other side of the chip.

I have used this method, but much prefer Chip Quik, as there is less risk of heat damage to the IC and surrounding traces.

Stu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.