CDM9/65 motor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

This is my first post in this forum.
I purchased an Arcam Alpha 6 CD player on ebay a few months back which turned out to have aparently broken in transport (the seller interaction is a whole other issue).
Initialy it seemed to be the gear that moved the tray, as some plastic gear teeth fell out when opening the box. I found info on the problem with the gear for the CDM9 transports and got myself a new gear for the player, optimal grease and instructions from Arcam on how to take the player apart to replace the gear.
I replaced the gear and now the tray functions flawlesly. However I now find myself with another problem. The motor does not seem to spin the disc. I insert the disc, press play and the motor seems to try to spin (makes a fraction of a turn), the laserhead moves in to read the disc, and then it all stops and I get an "Err" message on the display.

I assume its a problem with the motor not spinning the disc, but maybe someone out there has encountered a similar problem and found it to be something else.

I tried it with diffirent discs, including MFSL "gold" discs, so its not a problem of faulty discs, in any case I would assume that the disc has to spin for the head to read the TOC.

On ebay I can only find CDM9/44 transports for sale, no CDM9 pro (/65), so if there is an alternative to hunting down a transport, that would be great.

Can anyone point me in the right direction (towards either finding a CDM9/65 or another possible cause to the problem)?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I have an Arcam Alpha 5 plus with the same transport (cdm9/65) and last few days I have experienced the same problem - insert disc, press play but when motor tries to spin cd it fails and gives the error message "Err" in display.

Any success in solving the above problem?

What I found out is that if I manually help the cd to start spinning the cd will read for me, so my idea is to replace the motor or maybe try to refurbish it somehow. I located the serial on the existing motor, RF-300C-11400, and it seems like I can order a replacement on e-bay. Anyone did something similar before and can offer some advice how to perform a dismantle of the transport?

Thanks, Andreas.

Thank you for the quick replies. I will check further about the laser.

I managed to dismantle the transport and take out the motor. I ordered a replacement motor anyway since it was very inexpensive, but while waiting for the new I will try to add some lubricant to the existing one.

Andreas

Solution found!

Tried to lubricate the old motor but with no success so I decided to wait for my replacement motor that I ordered. I received the motor with post today from www.cdlens.com and I must say I'm impressed with the service they offered, quick replies on questions and fast delivery (Poland to Malta in just a few days time). They had two very similar motors, I needed the one with the spindle length of 6.2 mm, not the one with 10mm.

So I mounted the motor and voila! CD is working again. Thanks for thread above, I found the part about distance between lens and disc most useful.

Thanks for your assistance and for a great forum!

-Andreas

cheers!

I have the same issue with my CDM 9/65 - I've replaced the gear, cleaned the laser and turned on Aura cd50. The tray is working now, but every time I put in any cd, I get an Errr on the display. The laser is ok and moves and the motor spins. One thing that wasn't mentioned here is that it makes 1 or 2 turns and then it rapidly spins in opposite direction. However if you slightly hold the cd or the clamp above, it reads and plays fine. Is it the same motor issue? :confused:

I removed the plastic clamp to remove the motor and was a bit confused with metal stick (outlined with red color, pls see att). Anybody knows what it's for and how should it be assembled now?

Attachments

• IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0843.jpg
    589 KB · Views: 338
percival007

it was quite easy with two knifes attached to both sides :)
I didn't measure the original height as it was a hairline or so between the platter and metal mechanism.

Anyway, just have received the new motor (6mm shaft), replaced it and still experience the same issue. Disc makes one or two turns clockwise and then rapidly spins in other direction. However I'm still able to play the CD if I gently touch it, thus making some additional resistance to the motor. It's like it's spinning too fast :confused: What could be cause, any ideas?

I even managed to place the metal stick back, but it didn't give any results as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 180
Once you've got the Disc playing, a) does it sound OK and b) can you let go and all be well?

The Spindle Motor Drive is usually derived from the second Servo Processor IC in Philips based units. This is 'clocked' from a crystal attached to the DAC IC (usually).
I have had problems here in the past, albeit with older machines, but maybe worth a scope around if you have access to such equipment.

Do you have a circuit diagram you could post so we can take a look?

Cheers,

JC

already tried to move the platter within one mm and it didn't bring any positive results. Funny thing here is that even at 1mm or even slightly higher, the laser continues to play CD fine if it's gently touched. How that is possible at all?

a) does it sound OK?
yes
b) can you let go and all be well?
yes, once it is recognized I still need to hold my finger on the CD, but when the first seconds are played, I could leave it and it will play the CD till the end, could even skip the tracks.

Unfortunately I haven't found the diagram anywhere in the net, will try to ask B&W later, but not sure they could surprise me as the whole Aura range was produced 20 years ago.
I do have the scope and could make necessary measurements if needed.

Need to say that the player did work fine before I changed the gear. It's quite weird as I haven't done anything at all to the main board or cdm9 mechanism either except cleaning the laser. Now I have already changed the motor and unaligned the platter as I could imagine.

Anyway my guess it's something related to the platter. I had a CD played several times without any help when the platter touched the metal carcase producing some nasty noise.
Is it related to this metal stick or the platter's height, I still do not understand :confused:

Tonight I resoldered majority of joints hoping for problem to disappear. Looks like it's not that simple...
Tried to find bc328 & 338 pair, but was unlucky here as well. The pcb does not have 328 at all. Other transistors do not show any shorts. Looks like another dead end.

Just if anybody follows, yesterday I swapped all BC338, 548 & 558 transistors with no luck, just waisted an hour on that.

Supply voltages on all chips (SAA7310, TCA0372DP2, TDA8809, NJM4560) are fine. Zeners' check with a dmm also did not reveal any shorts. Later I'll check all resistors including dozens of smd below the main board if there is any short here.

Aura uses some different approach then Alpha 5 or Philips 931 regarding the spindle motor. The high current (or at least I assume so) goes from TCA0372DP2 dual opamp, not a pair of BCs. Not sure if it worths to change the opamt. Anyway worst case scenario would be sell CDM9 and put the rest to the rubbish bin, but hope I'll figure out the cause here :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.