MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project

Hi, Digital Audiophiles,

Early next week, from Chiaki, I will receive a SDTrans384 with Sync-option connected to CAPRICE DAC, ES9018-based one manufactured by Fidelix Company in Japan.
Its new functionality enhancement was carried out on "Playing DSD64 and DSD128 sources stored in the same SD/SDHC memory card where conventional PCM WAV files are stored". The new revised firmware can handle both PCM WAV files and DSD DSDIFF files.
I will report it in detail after I try the prototype.

Bunpei

DSD Play on SDTrans384-Sync

Last night I received "SDTrans384-Sync connected to Fidelix CAPRICE DAC" and listened to it with "elecon", "jcarr" and the president of Fidelix company.
The result was wonderful. Both DSD64 and DSD128 DSDIFF format files were seamlessly played as well as conventional PCM format files without any severe problems. One of those DSD128 files was a live recording kindly and generously provided by SOUND_Rays. I'd like to express our gratitude to him.
I think a good characteristic of DSD sounds was perceived.

In addition to that, we could also play commercial DSD128 sources down loaded from 2L and converted files using Weiss SARACON software.

It's very interesting to compare PCM and DSD sources in an almost identical environment.

In the next step, Chiaki will develop the upgrade of DSD play on a conventional SDTrans384 without Sync option. I believe he will finish the development soon.

Beside DSD64 and DSD128, we will try a DSD256 play.
We appreciate your information on DSD256 sources. What we can do in the sampling frequency is creating a test file by converting from PCM.

Seamless & flawless DSD & DXD file playback

I was one of the four people present at the premiere of Chiaki's 5.6MHz DSD & 32bit/384kHz WAV compatible version of SDTrans described by Bunpei in his post above.

It is important to to understand that this consist of further modifications to the Caprice (with designer Nakagawa's blessing and participation) as well as a further development of the SDTrans and its firmware.

The modified Caprice and the DSD capable SDTrans works together as a system to make the DSD playback possible. However, it is my understanding that Chiaki will also work on a version of the SDTrans that will be able to play DSD files independently of the DAC following it (as long as the DAC is capable of processing the signal that the SDTrans is outputting.)

What is even more remarkable is that it is possible to mix DSD tracks with WAV tracks on the same SD card, and the SDTrans will seamlessly & flawlessly play the tracks automatically while detecting and self-adjusting according to the detected format on the fly.

The sound quality with 24bit/352.8kHz files as well as 5.6MHz DSD was impeccable and remarkable. The sound was clear, smooth, complex, relaxed, and emotionally touching - all at the same time. The quality was so high that we got into discussing the finest differences between the original 24bit/352kHz 2L files versus the converted 5.6MHz DSD files, while the sound quality of either was at a level none of us have heard from digital playback ever before.

We also played other file types including CD-ripped 16bit/44.1kHz and original recordings at 16bit/48kHz and 192kHz/24 bit each with the best sound quality (relative to each file type) we have heard from the SDTrans & Caprice combination to date, and everybody present agreed that the overall quality of the various digital file playback was the highest each of us have experienced to date.

This is still a prototype and the development continues. There should be even more excitement ahead. :)

This evening I had a chance to listen to DSD128 audio sources with a good amplifier and speaker system.

Two players were compared.
A. SDTrans384 with Sync option + Fidelix CAPRICE DAC
B. KORG MR-2000S

The sources are live recordings;
1. Westside Story [Classical music] (provided by SOUND_Rays)
2. 2L sources [Classical music]
3. Violin Solo [Classical music] (released by 1 bit Consortium)
http://www.acoust.rise.waseda.ac.jp/1bitcons/data4/data4.html
http://www.acoust.rise.waseda.ac.jp/1bitcons/data4/01kr01_5_6M_2ch.wsd

In general, SDTrans+CAPRICE maintained a higher resolution with smooth texture and better staging.
I was strongly impressed with the superior taste of "live" heard in the sources provided by SOUND_Rays and 1 bit Consortium.
This experience made me realize a good aspect of DSD128 recordings.
I'd like to express my sincere gratitude to SOUND_Rays. Your recording is wonderful!

Last edited:
This evening I had a chance to listen to DSD128 audio sources with a good amplifier and speaker system.

Two players were compared.
A. SDTrans384 with Sync option + Fidelix CAPRICE DAC
B. KORG MR-2000S

The sources are live recordings;
1. Westside Story [Classical music] (provided by SOUND_Rays)
2. 2L sources [Classical music]
3. Violin Solo [Classical music] (released by 1 bit Consortium)
1bit Audio Consortium Web Page
http://www.acoust.rise.waseda.ac.jp/1bitcons/data4/01kr01_5_6M_2ch.wsd

In general, SDTrans+CAPRICE maintained a higher resolution with smooth texture and better staging.
I was strongly impressed with the superior taste of "live" heard in the sources provided by SOUND_Rays and 1 bit Consortium.
This experience made me realize a good aspect of DSD128 recordings.
I'd like to express my sincere gratitude to SOUND_Rays. Your recording is wonderful!

Thank You Bunpei... It is nice to read about your reflections but realy... When do you and Chiaki expect us to be able to give a second opinion?

SOUND_Rays you got a PM.
Brgds

Last edited:
When do you and Chiaki expect us to be able to give a second opinion?

Chiaki has his consideration on three plans.

1. Release of DSD covering upgraded firmware & FPGA configuring EEPROM for domestic SDTrans384 users
In Japan he has started the release for volunteered users. This upgrade requires no hardware modification on the board.
(You may need changes in wiring for interconnection to your DAC.
I2S_______DSD
MCLK_____MCLK
DCLK_____DCLK
LRCK_____DSDR
SDAT_____DSDL
)
You can play DSD64, DSD128 & DSD256 DSDIFF format files.
After quality assurance checking by domestic users is completed, we will announce an upgrading plan for oversea users. The upgrade is not free.

2. Release of SDTrans384 V3.0 board kit
Chiaki has a draft plan of releasing totally 30 pieces in the next batch.
The number of sets assigned for an oversea distribution will be around ten.
The price may be raised in a reasonable range because DSD play functionality is added.
Please wait for our announce in the next year. The timing will be in the near future.

3. Making of release version of Sync-option for SDTrans384 V3.0
The option consists two modules.
One is a sub board attached to SDTrans and another is a small board connected to ES9018 based DAC board. The DAC side board has two oscillator devices for master clocking, 90.3168 & 98.304 MHz on ES9018. The oscillators are made by NDK(Nippon Denpa Kogyo) and very expensive. They require a long delivery period, about 3 months.
The board must be compatible for TPA Buffalo II and III.
However, the price expected is far expensive than the base price of DACs.
Chiaki has a concern to demand for such a board.
We need your frank opinions on your demands.

Bunpei

Dear Bunpei:

Happy New Year to you and Chiaki-san!

I am interested in nr 1.

and have a question about nr 3.: Today, I am using the SDTrans with a clock-less Buffalo2, and have a shielded cable from SDTrans to the Buffalo2 that carries the clock. Like you show in the attached photo. What is the difference between 3. and the way it is connected in the photo?

Chiaki has his consideration on three plans.

3. Making of release version of Sync-option for SDTrans384 V3.0
The option consists two modules.
One is a sub board attached to SDTrans and another is a small board connected to ES9018 based DAC board. The DAC side board has two oscillator devices for master clocking, 90.3168 & 98.304 MHz on ES9018. The oscillators are made by NDK(Nippon Denpa Kogyo) and very expensive. They require a long delivery period, about 3 months.
The board must be compatible for TPA Buffalo II and III.
However, the price expected is far expensive than the base price of DACs.
Chiaki has a concern to demand for such a board.
We need your frank opinions on your demands.

Bunpei

Attachments

• SN3G0048.JPG
    SN3G0048.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 436