MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project

To elecon,
I'd like to express my sincere gratitude to your very detailed report on Chiaki's SDTrans192 Rev. 3.0 board.

My report:
We have asked totally 8 SDTrans192 users in Japan to evaluate the new board and they gave their feedback to Chiaki and me. Based on the results, Chiaki and Bunpei think we need no modification and we can produce a first lot without any problems. For foreign users, we will hopefully distribute the board kit at the end of next January as planned.

I think the comments by Japanese evaluators well match the contents posted by elecon. All of them pointed out the bass was favorable one. However, an energy balance from bass, mid range to treble may change when we compared it to that of conventional players. I was very surprised that conventional CD disks hold far more plentiful tones than I expected and experienced before.

Tomorrow the board will be sent to evaluators in northern Europe.

I'd like to express our thanks to the efforts of Japanese evaluators.

Mini Review of version 2.1 vs version 3.0

Here is a SDTrans192 mini review of version 2.1 vs version 3.0.

Hardware used for both version 2.1 and 3.0 of the SDTrans192 as well as DAC and IV converter:

ScanDisk SDHC 16GB Memory Cards.

5 cm I2S cable between the SDTrans192 and the DAC.

Twisted Pear Buffalo 2 DAC with 80 MHz clock using a - by me modified - Twisted Pear Placid Super shunt regulator at 5.5VDC.

IV Converter: highly, by me, modified Legato I, with for ex copper foil Duelund VSF 10uF caps in the signal path. Power Supplies were, by me modified, dual mono, Twisted Pear Placid BP Super shunts at +-14.5 VDC. One toroid transformerper channel was used.

A MOSFET series regulated +5 VDC for the SDtrans192 was used. It has a separate toroid transformer.

Twisted, solid core, silver wire, in unbleached cotton insulation, and Furutech Rhodiumised connectors were used between the Legato 1 and the line amp. Silver wire was also used between Buffalo2 and Legato 1, and between the huge Duelund caps and the Legato 1.
Software versions were 3.03 for SDTrans192 version 3.0, and version 2.21 for SDTrans192 version 2.1.

Changes made between version 2.1 and 3.0: please read Bunpei’s post here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ry-card-transport-project-23.html#post2372262

Mini Review
This upgrade is a major one. The PCB is much larger than the old one, and the SD card inlet has been moved to be under the very bright and sharp display. You can now also disconnect the backlight of the display if one feels that the display being on can affect sonical quality. I did not check this. I like to have the display on all the time. As before there are SPDIF output (up to 24bit and 192 kHz - limits of the SPDIF specification) and I2S output (max 352.8kHz/24bit or 192kHz/32bit) but there is also a new interface and that is a HDMI connector. The specification for this HDMI interface is based on a specification developed by PS-Audio and one sends I2S signals via this interface - up to several feet long cables can be used. I have no possibility to test this interface.

A very important part of the upgrade is that version 3.0 uses low phase noise crystal oscillator modules (clocks) from NDK in Japan. Another, equally important, is that on version 3.0 much work has been done on the PCB layout, and not to forget the work that has been made to the power supply circuits to obtain lower noise .
For the hard core user, one can use an external master clock (how about a Rubidium clock – anyone?), use separate power supplies for most voltages on the board (batteries, anyone?), as well as more easily add a remote control to the board.

I have used my SDtrans 2.1 as my reference digital player for about a year, and have been very satisfied with it. Bunpei's support has also made the experience a good one.

I received version 3.0 from Mr. Bunpei Matoba in December, and immediately hooked it up to my power supply to let it burn in for a few days. All listening tests were performed using I2S between SDTrans192 and Buffalo 2 DAC. The highly interesting HDMI interface was not used. Nor the SPDIF output.

When doing the comparison between version 3.0 and 2.1, I first thought that I should listen to music with different resolutions, and then comment on sonical quality for each resolution, but after having listened to version 3.0 for several hours, I hear that the sonical improvements are valid for all resolutions I tested (from 16bit/44k1 up to 32/192 kHz WAV music files - my Buffalo2 does not support DXF files).

Listening to Allan Taylor's "The beat hotel" (16-bit / 44.1 kHz) I find his voice is one of the most powerful voices I ever encountered. With both version 2.1 and 3.0, his voice is full bodied, and close, with good S-sounds, and with version 3.0 there is a more better sounding fatness of his voice, and also I can hear the room Allan is standing in when singing using version 3.0. I also hear that the ambience of the recording is better with version 3,0. Bass is not as voluminous in version 3.0 compared to version 2.1, and the drums are superb on version 3.0. Not as good on version 2.1.

Kari Bremnes’ “Byssan Lull” (16-bit / 44.1 kHz) presents a lullaby song I heard when I was a small child. It brings out some pleasant memories. Kari has a fantastic voice which is not as voluminous on version 3.0 compared to version 2.1. Drums have a more firm bass sound on version 3.0 but the sound is not as big on version 3.0 relative version 2.1. Bass is deep, powerful, and warm on both versions, but with version 3.0 I can hear the room in which the drums were played. There is also mor body to the hihat on version 3.0. Treble is soft and nice and polished on both versions, and version 3.0 presents an even sculptured instruments.

Moving to a high resolution file like “People Make The World Go Round” (24-bit / 96 kHz) bas has punch, slam, and it sounds fast and dry on version 2.1. Even more firmness is presented by version 3.0 whilst keeping the other adjectives in place. The hihat sounds more pure or clean in version 3.0. The tambourine has more details and is better sculptured in version 3.0 relative version 2.1, and the guitar is more easy to hear.

Continuing with another WAV file in 24-bit / 96 kHz resolution, “Love At Last” has a nice choir that is broad in the sound stage. Version 2.1 cannot as easily pick out individual voices as version 3.0 can. Listening to the hi hat it is more airy in version 3.0, and the bells is clearer. Bass is dry on both versions but version 3.0 presents a more clear and detailed bass instrument than version 2.1 is capable of.

Making use of the second oscillator, the song “For Alun Lewis” (24-bit / 88.2 kHz) has some nice cymbals that sound bright and detailed. With a deeper and more detailed bass in version 3.0. Also, the snare drum has more punch in version 3.0 when compared to version 2.1. The superb piano is soft and has good tonality, and with version 3.0 the echo, defining the room, is more easy to hear.

Another song in 24-bit / 96 KHz resolution I listened to was “Up from the skies” and I find myself repeating myself when I say that bass was more punchy, guitars sounded clearer, cymbals had more details, snare drum was had more punch, the organ and slap on the rims were more clear, and in general there was more slam to the version 3.0 compared to version 2.1.
The final song I will present (as I feel am only repeating the same sonical improvements over and over) is a 24-bit / 192 kHz clarinet virtuoso playing the “Vibraciones del Alma Op 45 – Allegro”. The clarinet sounds more pure, more detailed, breathings are more easy to hear, sound is more nuanced with better sound staging, and a sound that is less voluminous.
The only drawback with this version 3.0 player is that I cannot keep it as a guy in Germany is waiting for it.

Conclusions
The updated SDTrans192 player is something extra. It sounds better than version 2.1 which was my previous reference digital source. It sounds awesome.

It is a well-built unit and the price is more than OK for the sonical qualities version 3..0 possesses. Highly recommended.

- Staccatiss

Attachments

• B2andLegato1andSDTrans192-2.jpg
    B2andLegato1andSDTrans192-2.jpg
    612.9 KB · Views: 820
Here is a SDTrans192 mini review of version 2.1 vs version 3.0.

Dear staccatiss,

It's a fantastic not "mini" but "full" review! I feel it is quite of professional level.
Chiaki and I would like to express our sincere gratitude to your great effort to create the review.
We will concentrate on achieving rapid deliveries to foreign users.

Best regards,
Bunpei

SDTrans192 Rev. 3.0 Evaluation Report

Thanks to Bunpei & Chiaki I now have the honour of borrowing and using the latest SDTrans192 Rev. 3.0. (I also borrowed it for a day last year when Bunpei visited my Tokyo home.) However, this time I also have the Fidelix Caprice complete with I2s over HDMI. (The last time we used a Buffalo DAC for I2S connection via short, direct wires (non-HDMI).)

The sound is significantly improved (as compared to last time I heard the Rev. 3) with large, well defined, high-resolution images full of life and rythm. I have listened both to high sampling DXD 352.8kHz files (from 2L.no) as well as lower sampling rates of 192kHz, 96kHz, and 44.1kHz. The DXD files sounded better than ever with rock solid stability and no drop-outs whatsoever. There is a "walk-in - matter-of-fact" feel to the DXD files which for the first time convinces me that the merit of DXD playback is more than a "Guinness Record Number Game" just to prove that it is possible to play such files. This time I was really convinced about the sonic superiority of these files. You are there in the room with the musicians, and you can hear them (the musicians) breathe and move about.

I also listened to normal EAC ripped CD files, and one CD in particular Jen Chapin "Revisions, Songs of Stevie Wonder" (Chesky Records SACD347, ripping the "RedBook" section of this hybrid CD/SACD) was used for comparing with highest quality CD playback vs. file playback of the same program material.

I am lucky to have available a SONY SCD-DR1 SACD/CD transport which I can feed into either the Fidelix Caprice DAC or a Berkeley Audio Design Group "Alpha DAC" (a highly respected unit by the guys behind HDCD, Pacific Microsonics). The listening tests made it clear that file playback via SDTrans192 Rev. 3.0 was quite a bit superior to the direct CD playback.

It is very clear to me that the SDTrans192 Rev. 3.0 is the finest "digital transport" that I have heard to date. I warmly recommend it to those who really care and strive to achieve the very best sounding playback possible today.

I am in line for my own SDTrans192 Rev. 3.0, and patiently wait for Chiaki to hand-build enough units until my turn comes to receive one.

Last edited:
To elecon,
I greatly appreciated your review and report on SDTrans192 Rev. 3.0 with Fidelix CAPRICE ( ES9018 chip based DAC) connected by PS-Audio type I2S connection (I2S on LVDS/HDMI connector & cable).
I was much impressed with the result.
The board assigned for evaluation purpose is now at a hand of an audiophile in Germany and I believe he will also post his comments soon on this thread.

To those who made their reservations for the kit
We should apologize to you because the actual delivery time of the kit will be delayed than we expected before. We will hopefully announce our delivery at the end of February or the beginning of March to oversea orders. Major reasons for the delay is the longer lead time for some components.

To SDTrans192 users
Some of you might have already enjoyed a test listening of DXD 352.8 kHz/24 bit audio files freely downloadable from 2L site using ES9018 based DACs.
(You need 96 or 100 MHz oscillator for the purpose.)
2L has started to sell full DXD albums by way of their distributors. Totally 22 titles are available as DXD sources. In Japan, a local distributor, EDIO, provides those files on USB memory media. I purchased 4 albums last Sunday.
Their price was 7,400 JPY for each album excluding media cost.

Bunpei,

thank you for the tip about 2L now selling DXD albums.

When playing such hires music as DXD wav music files, the transfer speed is very high (17 Mbps if I am correct). Thus, wonder if one needs to use high speed memory SD cards or if you have some recommendation of SD cards?

Best regards,

To SDTrans192 users
Some of you might have already enjoyed a test listening of DXD 352.8 kHz/24 bit audio files freely downloadable from 2L site using ES9018 based DACs.
(You need 96 or 100 MHz oscillator for the purpose.)
2L has started to sell full DXD albums by way of their distributors. Totally 22 titles are available as DXD sources. In Japan, a local distributor, EDIO, provides those files on USB memory media. I purchased 4 albums last Sunday.
Their price was 7,400 JPY for each album excluding media cost.

When playing such hires music as DXD wav music files, the transfer speed is very high (17 Mbps if I am correct). Thus, wonder if one needs to use high speed memory SD cards or if you have some recommendation of SD cards?
According to my understanding, a class notation of SDHC memory is based on "speed on write" only. Actually, I have not test various classes. In my limited experiences, I think class 4 or 6 is enough even for such a high resolution audio file. However, you will expect less time for copying your files into the card and may select a memory card of higher classes.

I could not find any data on the SanDisk SDHC cards even at SanDisk web page, but www.elfa.se states that

* SDHC cards can read/write >2MB/s (SDSDB-4096-E11)

* Ultra SD cards can read/write 15 MB/s (SDSDH-002G-U46)

* Extreme SDHC cards can read/write 30MB/s (SDSDX3-032G-X46)

Best regards,

Most SD cards should be able to provide a steady 17Mb/s = 2.1MB/s stream when reading from it. :)

Production Rev. 3 in the House

Sunday February 27, 2011 I finally received my personal SDTrans192 Rev.3 which I immediately connected via I2S HDMI interface to my Fidelix Caprice DAC. Since this is the production version, I was anxious to hear if there would be differences as compared with the prototype that I have borrowed a couple of times earlier this winter.

I did not concentrate on test tracks, nor particularly high-sampled files, even though I recently purchased the complete 2L collection of 352.8kHz/24bit files. I rather played various files ripped (in Exact Audio Copy) from plain vanilla CD in good old 44.1kHz/16bit format with music that I really felt like listening to. As a first test I wanted to know the basic sound quality of the SDTrans192 Rev.3.

I listened throughout the evening and into the night while editing photos in Lightroom. However, as I kept on listening the music grabbed my attention in a way that rarely happens. I had an incredibly warm and musical sound that nevertheless provided details and resolution at the highest level imaginable. This was particularly noticeable on old familiar tracks like those from Aron Neville and Bob Dylan etc. which I have listened to thousands of times before on vinyl, CD, and now WAV files on an SD-card. I also listened to classical piano and church organ recordings that I am quite familiar with.

For a moment I felt that the production version Rev. 3 was even better than the earlier prototype I had listened to (I heard even more details and extremely homogenous sound than ever), but then I told myself that this could simply be because of the joy experienced by having my own, personal unit in the house ;) (I also have the earlier Rev. 2.1 which the new unit clearly surpasses) However, one thing is very clear: The production Rev.3 is not inferior in any way to the earlier prototype (not available during the current listening session), and a double check against the Rev. 2.1, that I also own, confirmed the same differences that I heard when comparing it to the prototype.

I realize that Rev. 3 is not yet shipping to those who are residing outside Japan (I am a permanent resident of Japan) and that Bunpei & Chiaki have decided to ship to Japanese applicants first in order to properly field-test the new design in Japan before starting to ship to foreign residence applicants. I heard that it will take at least another month or so before shipments to foreign addresses commence (except for the "travelling prototype sample" that is on a world-tour to various countries). You have something to look forward to :)

The SDTrans 192 Rev. 3 truly brings super-high quality WAV file (up to 352.8kHz 24bit (DXD) level) playback into the hands of audiophiles for their personal use in their homes at a very reasonable cost.

Last edited:
Japan Quake

Bunpei and Chiaki, reaching out to both of you as best I know how here on this forum and your private e mail. I sincerely hope both of you, your family, and your friends were not anywhere near all the terrible scenes I have seen on TV. I know Chiaki is outside Tokyo near Akishima, hopefully Bunpei is even further away from the worst of it than that. I'm sure I am not alone wishing you well and hope things return to normal for you both as soon as possible.

Rick Nack> compressit

Dear compressit, guglielmope and other SDTrans users those who have made anxious inquiries about Chiaki's and my safety,

I felt very impressed to find those e-mails in my e-mail in-box when I managed to return to my home after over night stay in my office in central area in Tokyo.
As compressit already reported, both Chiaki and I including our family members are safe and got no damages by this huge earthquake.
The epicenter and severely damaged areas are more than 300 miles north east away from Tokyo. Though we experienced vibration of large amplitude and long period, its acceleration was not so strong in Tokyo.
However, most of all commuter trains in Tokyo area were stopped and Chiaki and I could not return to their homes on the evening.

By the way, we have to apologize to those who are enlisted in a waiting list of SDTrans192 Rev. 3.0 board.
Chiaki has shipped a lot assigned to domestic users already. Another lot assigned to oversea users is not assembled yet due to severe delivery delay of key components.
We shipped the first lot only to users in Japan because we though it was better to check its quality carefully on the local distribution first. In spite of our initial concern, no severe problems on the new revision have been reported as of now. Therefore, we think we can deliver a board kit of assured quality to foreign users.

We really appreciate your further patience.

Best regards,
Chiaki and Bunpei

Dear Bunpei San,

This is a very good news to hear that you are fine. Hope everything will be back to normal asap.

For the boards, I understand fully your point and I have patience to wait for this amazing product. Will wait for your notification email for the good news~

Pls take care.

Best regards,

Alan

Very interesting seeing these SD transport developments. Some questions from a beginner in audio trying to get a decent transport to finish of his system - DIY 4-way active open baffles and modded Caiman DAC/peramp. Looking at the squeezebox touch but audio quality is the number one priority. Your help is greatly appreciated.

How easy would it be for newbs (like me) to put this together? I would use the SPDIF coaxial in to my DAC/preamp. This board however I guess needs;

- One or more Power supplies (how difficult will this be)
- casing
- Anything else???

I cannot find the price for this. PM required? Projected total cost please anyone? Reasonable cost parts is preferred.

P.S. Is the money I would invest in this going to be wasted if I only use the coaxial spdif?

Last edited:
- One or more Power supplies (how difficult will this be)
- casing
- Anything else???

I cannot find the price for this. PM required? Projected total cost please anyone? Reasonable cost parts is preferred.

P.S. Is the money I would invest in this going to be wasted if I only use the coaxial spdif?

Frankly speaking, most of users who have experienced I2S connection tell me, "I2S is better than S/PDIF on SDTrans."
However, I believe that S/PDIF output of SDTrans is certainly at a high level though it might not be the highest nor the top level.

On the other hand, there are many USB DDC models that offer good S/PDIF output up to 192 kHz/ 24 bit in this market. If you do not stick to "memory card player" and using PC is acceptable , selecting "USB DDC" might be a possible alternative.

Anyway, I'd like to answer to your questions.
1. Power Supply
You need to prepare at least one DC +5.0 V+- 0.5V power supply.
You can use three or four UM-1 1.5V batteries for this purpose.
Actual draw is less than 400mA.
Some audiophiles tried maximum 4 or 5 sophisticated independent regulated power lines and reported good results.

2. Casing
You can use our board kit without casing for a while.
Some Japanese users reported wonderful casing.
(I will report their pictures as soon as I get their permissions.)

3. Anything else
Pros & Cons of a memory card player.
Pros: Very stable, highly resoluted and less noisy sounds
Cons: You must copy audio files onto a memory card.
You can't play a live streaming audio such as the Internet radio.

4. Pricing
Please send a private usual e-mail message to me for an inquiry.
bunpei<at>ta2<dot>so-net<dot>ne<dot>jp

Last edited:
2. Casing
You can use our board kit without casing for a while.
Some Japanese users reported wonderful casing.
(I will report their pictures as soon as I get their permissions.)

Mr. Suzuki, a Japanese user, built such a wonderful casing,
Suzuki01.JPG
with state of the art metal panel processing.

In this case, he uses S/PDIF interface, an external Li-ion battery unit and additional multiple sophisticated voltage regulators.

Thank you Bunpei for the thorough answer. PM sent.

The PC alternative is one I will consider carefully. I am in no rush. I could pick up an SDtrans this summer when I visit Japan. In the mean time I look forward to seeing more builds that might give me the confidence to put this together. Perhaps your team will be producing some wiring diagrams that are beginner friendly for the likes of me.

Suzuki-sans build is especially impressive, particularly the battery and it's mount! The coloured buttons are a nice touch.