MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project

I just got my SDTrans 384 and I am very impressed by to the sound I get feeding my Devialet D250 dac/amp through SPDIF. I still have to modify my best cable with a BNC connector but even with my less good cable I am getting sound quality far better than the CD-transports I have or any computer setup I tried.

For power I tried the supplied wall wart power supply or 4 1.25V batteries. Is it worth to get a better power supply?
Under the battery supplies there is the Bakoon BPS-02 BPS-02 | Bakoon Products International which had a good review on 6-moons, one could build one using LiFePO4 batteries and a regulator like PPA battery adapter SHOPPING AREA: BATTERY ADAPTER. There are a lot of USB battery supplies but is any of them appropriate?
Alternatively a linear power supply (regulated to 5V) could be good but which one?

I look for recommendations for power supplies which really improve the sound quality.

P.S.:
I am also intrigued by the I2S output options but I can not use them with my DAC. But if I have some extra time I could think about building something for headphone use which can use I2S may be something like this: https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2015/03/16/soekris-dam-1021-r-2r-dac-users-guide/

Last edited:
Hi, Monteverdi!

I appreciated your post very much!

As for the type of power supplies for SDTrans, I recommend applying a liner regulator type or a battery type. SDTrans has five internal power sections. You can provide individual external power supplies independently to any of them. Such a modification will surely satisfy you.

On the other hand, not a few SDTrans users including me have broken their SDTrans units by applying incorrect power supplies. Please be careful when you connect your own power supplies.

Bunpei

Hello, I recently discovered SDtrans384 and looks interesting.

I've basic electronic skills, so I need to understand what king of PCM/DSD dac could be easily connected to this source by I2S connection.

Do you experience any bump or worrying sound when switch from pcm to dsd and vice versa ?

Is the playout gapless when more tracks exixsts with pcm and dsd ?

Thanks in advance. Have a nice day.

Hi Bunpei,

1) A couple of us will be using shunt regs for the syncDAC, could you show us the current draw for each of the 5 supply lines?

2) I understand for each supply line there is an LDO at the end.... where is that big nichicon cap positioned (across the shunt reg to be used? or?) and what is its value? Any small bypass cap across the shunt reg (to be used there)
and its value?

3) Any luck with your no bandwidth quest?

Many thanks!

Hi, CFT!

I'm very sorry for my delayed reply.

1) A couple of us will be using shunt regs for the syncDAC, could you show us the current draw for each of the 5 supply lines?

I measured actual current draws for my current system.
1. Analog section +5V, 30mA (the value is independent on fs) /each channel
2. Digital section +5V, 80-100mA (the value is dependent on fs) /each channel
3. Clock section +5V (I can't measure it now. According to my memory, less than 60mA)
Please take suitable margins into account for your implementation.

2) I understand for each supply line there is an LDO at the end.... where is that big nichicon cap positioned (across the shunt reg to be used? or?) and what is its value? Any small bypass cap across the shunt reg (to be used there) and its value?

I have never replaced those bypass caps nor removed any of them.
Therefore, I can't give you any advice on this subject.

3) Any luck with your no bandwidth quest?

I'm now planning a certain circuit modification for establishing a constant "No bandwidth" setting. No comments have been given from members of this DIY Audio forum.

(I hope you have been satisfied with Sun-Ring PPS caps.)

Hi, Bob!

I am getting ready to convert Apple Lossless files to WAV for the SDTrans384.
Will be using a MAC. Program recommendations? Pitfalls to avoid?

As you may know or guess, SDTrans can't handle such WAV header sections with much complicated structures as recently revised.

My experiences are limited to conversions on Windows.
iTunes, JRiver and Korg AudioGate Version 2 on Windows are OK to produce WAV files acceptable by SDTrans.

Thank you so much Bunpei san. That's very helpful!

To be exact, the reflector-D shunt regs are to be used for the sdtrans384 and syncDac..so it would be nice to know it the reflecktor-Ds will see a small bypass cap (or not) which might cause some instability, etc.

See post #217
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/261031-reflektor-d-builds-22.html

I didn't get the sunring pps caps, but will do. I am sure they are good but need to see if these caps will be ok for using with the ref-D regs above..

So, it means that you have already found a solution for the "No bandwidth" setting? That is excellent!

Thanks again!

single album

I have some problems playing a single album. I have several albums on a SD card and I can select a specific folder=album but once it played that album I continues with the next folder instead of stopping. The only other alternative I found is to put it in repeat play mode and set it on folder. But I want to hear that album only once! Is there a solution for that problem?
One other problem I have recently is dropouts on files which played correctly before. I do not know whether they are related to the quality of the SDHC card. Some like new Samsung and Sandisk Ultra did not play at all but Sandisk Extreme work. One possible cause of that problem is that sometimes I switched off power without stopping play. Could that corrupt the files on a SD card? How to check that?

Last edited:
Hi, Monteverdi!

I have some problems playing a single album. I have several albums on a SD card and I can select a specific folder=album but once it played that album I continues with the next folder instead of stopping. The only other alternative I found is to put it in repeat play mode and set it on folder. But I want to hear that album only once! Is there a solution for that problem?

I understood that you wanted to play just one folder you selected among multiple folders on a SD card. To our regret, there is no play mode, "This folder only".

One other problem I have recently is dropouts on files which played correctly before. I do not know whether they are related to the quality of the SDHC card. Some like new Samsung and Sandisk Ultra did not play at all but Sandisk Extreme work. One possible cause of that problem is that sometimes I switched off power without stopping play. Could that corrupt the files on a SD card? How to check that?

I have not experienced such dropouts on files. The problem may depend on quality of SD cards. If possible, why don't you format the card and re-copy all audio files to the card again?

Bunpei

Hi Bunpei,
Great Player . Very very statified. I conducted MANY test and comparaison(with professional and consumer equipement)
I own 2board
I have a question :
One sd is powered with a REfektor D . Single supply
The other one is supplied with multiply "power supply " (acko) .
Did user experienced that multiple power supply always sounds better than single one ?
I am doing test by feeding a DAC with 2 different SPDIF input. And switching between them
Did anyone experience a big difference ? Single one better ? Multiple one better usually ?
Could you explain why "multiple" could be better ?

Thanks !

Pw8888

Last edited:
SD cards

In regards to best type SD cards: It is my understanding that only up to 32gb cards will work, yes? They must be SD or SDHC only, correct? Does it make a difference how “fast” the card is or what class the card is? Do full size SD work better or sound better than micro size SD w/ the adapter?