Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project
MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2011, 09:49 AM   #331
alanvcd is offline alanvcd  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Wow, looks cool~~~

Bunpei, do you think it will also work for dual mono buffalo? (still building it)

May I also ask if the speical EPPROM will be officially announce some day in the future?

Best regards,

Alan.
Old 14th July 2011, 03:25 PM   #332
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Chiaki and Bunpei would like to recommend ES9018 DAC chip users try "synchronous master clocking" scheme on the chip.

In order to try this, the first thing you need to do is removing (temporarily) an original clock device on your DAC board.

The second step is to connect MCLK output pin of I2S connector of SDTrans to ES9018 XI pin.
There are two ways at this stage. The easier way is to provide 22.5792 or 24.576 MHz MCLK. In this case, you need to set "OSF =OFF" on ES9018 so as to maintain a stable lock on ES9018 from 44.1 to 384 kHz. You need neither EEPROM upgrade nor hardware jumper change. The users of SDTrans192 Rev. 2.1 can also try this.

The another way is to provide 90.3168 or 98.304MHz MCLK. In this case, you can set "OSF=ON", "DPLL BW=LOWEST" on ES9018 and have a stable lock from 44.1 to 384 kHz. The high frequency MCLK is generated in FPGA and you need to have Mark 17 EEPROM upgrade. You also need to moving the jumper SMD chip on JP6 position to JP5. SDTrans192 Rev. 2.1 is not compatible this setting. My opinion is the setting does not necessarily bring the best result. I rather favor "OSF=OFF" mode.

Apart from "synchronous clocking", you might be interested in 384 kHz/32 bit play. To achieve this, you need to have Mark 16 or Mark 17 EEPROM upgrade.

Please contact to Bunpei to get Mark 16 or Mark 17 EEPROM upgrade.

Last edited by Bunpei; 14th July 2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 20th July 2011, 01:56 PM   #333
diyAudio Member

Default Effect of Cornell Dubilier Electronics (CDE) Film Capacitor

Some of you may have known very well the great effect of Cornell Dubilier's giant film capacitors.

I recently added the big film capacitor in the picture below to the +5V power line of my SDTrans384 and Buffalo II.
The effect is amazing. More power, strength in all ranges maintaining purity and resolutions.

In my case, 944 type, 100 microF 1200V DC.
The cap is made by Cornell Dubilier Electronics (CDE).
Digi-Key - 338-1921-ND (Manufacturer - 944U101K122ACM)
(The largest capacitance available is 220 microF/800V DC.)

I'd like to recommend you try one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SN3G0048.JPG (47.9 KB, 1865 views)
Old 21st July 2011, 04:06 AM   #334
alanvcd is offline alanvcd  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Wow, looks awesome!
Old 28th July 2011, 08:00 AM   #335
staccatiss is offline staccatiss  Germany
diyAudio Member

I am a bit surprised that you seem to use a standard laboratory power supply, but I am not at all surprised that you will get better sonics if you add a large PP cap to this supply. I would ague that lab PS are not at all suited for audio use.

I would never use a laboratory power supply for audio equipment. That will for sure not give optimal sonics from the digital or analog sections of audio gear, IMO.

Personally, I use a dedicated transformer for my Buffalo2, and two separate transformers for the analog IV sections (dual mono) PlacidBPs. All my Placids have modified rectifcation sections, and added decoupling polystyrene caps on all outputs and inputs.

And my SDTrans192 has its own linear regulator supplied from its own transformer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
Some of you may have known very well the great effect of Cornell Dubilier's giant film capacitors.

I recently added the big film capacitor in the picture below to the +5V power line of my SDTrans384 and Buffalo II.
The effect is amazing. More power, strength in all ranges maintaining purity and resolutions.

In my case, 944 type, 100 microF 1200V DC.
The cap is made by Cornell Dubilier Electronics (CDE).
Digi-Key - 338-1921-ND (Manufacturer - 944U101K122ACM)
(The largest capacitance available is 220 microF/800V DC.)

I'd like to recommend you try one!

Last edited by staccatiss; 28th July 2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 28th July 2011, 11:36 PM   #336
alazira is offline alazira  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Bunpei,
I noticed that you do not have the trident regulators for your buffalo II. While that cap no doubt improves things (for $60 it had better!), I'd be willing to bet the tridents would be even more of a benefit.
Old 29th July 2011, 03:58 PM   #337
staccatiss is offline staccatiss  Germany
diyAudio Member

I agree.
I have the tridents and they make a good sonic improvment with many improvements, for ex the sound stage and a more organic sound. For the price the Tridents are a bargain sonically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazira View Post
Hi Bunpei,
I noticed that you do not have the trident regulators for your buffalo II. While that cap no doubt improves things (for $60 it had better!), I'd be willing to bet the tridents would be even more of a benefit.
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:22 PM   #338
diyAudio Member

Dear staccatiss and alazira,

Thank you very much for your comments and recommendation.

It's true that a versatile laboratory power supply is not one of the best power supplies for audio use. However, it's also true that some of them provide a certain quality level.
In this case with the giant film capacitor of CDE, even the usual laboratory power supply showed a very good performance. It was a surprising change for me. That's why I posted the previous recommendation.

I could not buy TPA Trident regulators because they had been sold out for a long while. Now, they are on sale again. I think it's time to buy.
I appreciated much your recommendation.

Bunpei
Old 14th August 2011, 04:03 AM   #339
davewantsmoore is offline davewantsmoore  Australia
diyAudio Member

I would really like to buy one of these? Will there ever be any more produced?
Old 14th August 2011, 02:31 PM   #340
diyAudio Member

Chiaki is now suspending a distribution of his SDTrans384 board. Though he have no fixed plan for future as of now, he may restart his activity after autumn. He has some ideas for improvements. When some are proved to be effective enough, he will release a new revision.

MicroSD Memory Card Transport ProjectHide this!Advertise here!