Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2011, 06:25 PM   #251
elecon is offline elecon  Japan
diyAudio Member

Default Production Rev. 3 in the House

Sunday February 27, 2011 I finally received my personal SDTrans192 Rev.3 which I immediately connected via I2S HDMI interface to my Fidelix Caprice DAC. Since this is the production version, I was anxious to hear if there would be differences as compared with the prototype that I have borrowed a couple of times earlier this winter.

I did not concentrate on test tracks, nor particularly high-sampled files, even though I recently purchased the complete 2L collection of 352.8kHz/24bit files. I rather played various files ripped (in Exact Audio Copy) from plain vanilla CD in good old 44.1kHz/16bit format with music that I really felt like listening to. As a first test I wanted to know the basic sound quality of the SDTrans192 Rev.3.

I listened throughout the evening and into the night while editing photos in Lightroom. However, as I kept on listening the music grabbed my attention in a way that rarely happens. I had an incredibly warm and musical sound that nevertheless provided details and resolution at the highest level imaginable. This was particularly noticeable on old familiar tracks like those from Aron Neville and Bob Dylan etc. which I have listened to thousands of times before on vinyl, CD, and now WAV files on an SD-card. I also listened to classical piano and church organ recordings that I am quite familiar with.

For a moment I felt that the production version Rev. 3 was even better than the earlier prototype I had listened to (I heard even more details and extremely homogenous sound than ever), but then I told myself that this could simply be because of the joy experienced by having my own, personal unit in the house (I also have the earlier Rev. 2.1 which the new unit clearly surpasses) However, one thing is very clear: The production Rev.3 is not inferior in any way to the earlier prototype (not available during the current listening session), and a double check against the Rev. 2.1, that I also own, confirmed the same differences that I heard when comparing it to the prototype.

I realize that Rev. 3 is not yet shipping to those who are residing outside Japan (I am a permanent resident of Japan) and that Bunpei & Chiaki have decided to ship to Japanese applicants first in order to properly field-test the new design in Japan before starting to ship to foreign residence applicants. I heard that it will take at least another month or so before shipments to foreign addresses commence (except for the "travelling prototype sample" that is on a world-tour to various countries). You have something to look forward to

The SDTrans 192 Rev. 3 truly brings super-high quality WAV file (up to 352.8kHz 24bit (DXD) level) playback into the hands of audiophiles for their personal use in their homes at a very reasonable cost.

Last edited by elecon; 28th February 2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11th March 2011, 11:04 PM   #252
compressit is offline compressit  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Japan Quake

Bunpei and Chiaki, reaching out to both of you as best I know how here on this forum and your private e mail. I sincerely hope both of you, your family, and your friends were not anywhere near all the terrible scenes I have seen on TV. I know Chiaki is outside Tokyo near Akishima, hopefully Bunpei is even further away from the worst of it than that. I'm sure I am not alone wishing you well and hope things return to normal for you both as soon as possible.

Rick Nack> compressit
Old 12th March 2011, 06:58 AM   #253
guglielmope is offline guglielmope  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hello Bunpey,
My english is poor but I hope that you and your family are Ok.I saw many images on the tv and I 'm very afraid.
When I was child my home was destroied by earthquake and many people dead in my region, it's not easy but you must look at the future.
Ciao
Guglielmo
Italy
Old 12th March 2011, 12:46 PM   #254
compressit is offline compressit  United States
diyAudio Member

I heard from Bunpei today, both he and Chiaki were in Tokyo and are safe. Not sure about his ability to post here, hopefully we will be hearing from him again soon.
Old 13th March 2011, 02:53 PM   #255
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Dear compressit, guglielmope and other SDTrans users those who have made anxious inquiries about Chiaki's and my safety,

I felt very impressed to find those e-mails in my e-mail in-box when I managed to return to my home after over night stay in my office in central area in Tokyo.
As compressit already reported, both Chiaki and I including our family members are safe and got no damages by this huge earthquake.
The epicenter and severely damaged areas are more than 300 miles north east away from Tokyo. Though we experienced vibration of large amplitude and long period, its acceleration was not so strong in Tokyo.
However, most of all commuter trains in Tokyo area were stopped and Chiaki and I could not return to their homes on the evening.

By the way, we have to apologize to those who are enlisted in a waiting list of SDTrans192 Rev. 3.0 board.
Chiaki has shipped a lot assigned to domestic users already. Another lot assigned to oversea users is not assembled yet due to severe delivery delay of key components.
We shipped the first lot only to users in Japan because we though it was better to check its quality carefully on the local distribution first. In spite of our initial concern, no severe problems on the new revision have been reported as of now. Therefore, we think we can deliver a board kit of assured quality to foreign users.

We really appreciate your further patience.

Best regards,
Chiaki and Bunpei
Old 14th March 2011, 08:53 AM   #256
alanvcd is offline alanvcd  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Dear Bunpei San,

This is a very good news to hear that you are fine. Hope everything will be back to normal asap.

For the boards, I understand fully your point and I have patience to wait for this amazing product. Will wait for your notification email for the good news~

Pls take care.

Best regards,

Alan
Old 1st April 2011, 08:39 PM   #257
SAC is offline SAC  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Very interesting seeing these SD transport developments. Some questions from a beginner in audio trying to get a decent transport to finish of his system - DIY 4-way active open baffles and modded Caiman DAC/peramp. Looking at the squeezebox touch but audio quality is the number one priority. Your help is greatly appreciated.

How easy would it be for newbs (like me) to put this together? I would use the SPDIF coaxial in to my DAC/preamp. This board however I guess needs;

- One or more Power supplies (how difficult will this be)
- casing
- Anything else???

I cannot find the price for this. PM required? Projected total cost please anyone? Reasonable cost parts is preferred.

P.S. Is the money I would invest in this going to be wasted if I only use the coaxial spdif?

Last edited by SAC; 1st April 2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 2nd April 2011, 06:45 AM   #258
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAC View Post
- One or more Power supplies (how difficult will this be)
- casing
- Anything else???

I cannot find the price for this. PM required? Projected total cost please anyone? Reasonable cost parts is preferred.

P.S. Is the money I would invest in this going to be wasted if I only use the coaxial spdif?
Frankly speaking, most of users who have experienced I2S connection tell me, "I2S is better than S/PDIF on SDTrans."
However, I believe that S/PDIF output of SDTrans is certainly at a high level though it might not be the highest nor the top level.

On the other hand, there are many USB DDC models that offer good S/PDIF output up to 192 kHz/ 24 bit in this market. If you do not stick to "memory card player" and using PC is acceptable , selecting "USB DDC" might be a possible alternative.

Anyway, I'd like to answer to your questions.
1. Power Supply
You need to prepare at least one DC +5.0 V+- 0.5V power supply.
You can use three or four UM-1 1.5V batteries for this purpose.
Actual draw is less than 400mA.
Some audiophiles tried maximum 4 or 5 sophisticated independent regulated power lines and reported good results.

2. Casing
You can use our board kit without casing for a while.
Some Japanese users reported wonderful casing.
(I will report their pictures as soon as I get their permissions.)

3. Anything else
Pros & Cons of a memory card player.
Pros: Very stable, highly resoluted and less noisy sounds
Cons: You must copy audio files onto a memory card.
You can't play a live streaming audio such as the Internet radio.

4. Pricing
Please send a private usual e-mail message to me for an inquiry.
bunpei<at>ta2<dot>so-net<dot>ne<dot>jp

Last edited by Bunpei; 2nd April 2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 2nd April 2011, 07:08 AM   #259
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
2. Casing
You can use our board kit without casing for a while.
Some Japanese users reported wonderful casing.
(I will report their pictures as soon as I get their permissions.)
Mr. Suzuki, a Japanese user, built such a wonderful casing,
Suzuki01.JPG
with state of the art metal panel processing.

In this case, he uses S/PDIF interface, an external Li-ion battery unit and additional multiple sophisticated voltage regulators.
Old 2nd April 2011, 12:07 PM   #260
SAC is offline SAC  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thank you Bunpei for the thorough answer. PM sent.

The PC alternative is one I will consider carefully. I am in no rush. I could pick up an SDtrans this summer when I visit Japan. In the mean time I look forward to seeing more builds that might give me the confidence to put this together. Perhaps your team will be producing some wiring diagrams that are beginner friendly for the likes of me.

Suzuki-sans build is especially impressive, particularly the battery and it's mount! The coloured buttons are a nice touch.

MicroSD Memory Card Transport ProjectHide this!Advertise here!