Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2018, 07:40 AM   #1011
JOHNNYCR100 is offline JOHNNYCR100  Abu Dhabi
diyAudio Member

Default wow thats good toknow

Hi Sumotan,

Good point about about the audio note DAC- unless you get ian 12s/pcm pcb?(dont quote me on that as i am a newbee)--but i get 100% what you mean, and thats what I would like (but my record player tops anything just now!)

Any idear about a group buy, or a kind soul haveig a Aya DAC to sell (are they surface mount or through hole componenants?)

Thank you for the reply,it " smacked my inner audiophile"

Best regards and hope for a Aya PCB

"Shallow " Johnny
Old 4th July 2018, 08:12 AM   #1012
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi Johnny.
Send an email to Pedja maybe you could get a surprise. lol
It's partly smd partly through hole. Your LP tops anything ya,
Wait till you hear a properly tweaked AyA with a good recordings.
This is the beauty of the TDA 1541, properly implemented it sounds so so good like LP & dare I say surpasses LP at certain levels, off course this must come from the recordings as dynamic range of CD are suppose to be higher then LP.
Old 4th July 2018, 09:03 AM   #1013
diyAudio Member

Default Sold !

Yo Sumotan,

Ok, ya got me hook lne and sinker....is there a good known contact for Pedja or should I just contact via website? ( pse PM me if personal e mail is there)

Any idear when he SD trans is available again?

Sorry for all the questions, I am a bit excited!! ( I was ok till I logged on to this site)

Very best regards
Johnny
Old 4th July 2018, 09:08 AM   #1014
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Sdtrans there’s a GB going on or theres one for sale in swap meet. Go check it out.
Yes contact Pedja via his website
Old 4th July 2018, 10:08 AM   #1015
diyAudio Member

Default thanks

Yo Will do , thank you so much

Johnny

Old 6th July 2018, 11:18 AM   #1016
diyAudio Member

Default additional though :ref AyA DAC in 12s in SDTrans/Squeezbox Touch

Apart from a SDTrans (Which I have yet to get- re avaiiblilty)

i wonder if a Squeezbox touch (which i do have) could be butchered to get 12s out of it in to an AyA DAC and run in simultanious mode via Ian Canadia PCM PCB in lue of an SDTrans becomeing available?--Sorry for thread deveation

johnny
Old 6th July 2018, 03:06 PM   #1017
Greg Stewart is offline Greg Stewart  United States
diyAudio Member

Johnny,

A few years back I considered doing the same thing to the Squeezebox Touch. I searched for mods on the units and did find some who had accesses I2S out of the Touch, so it is possible. BUT it looked like a challenging job with a high possibility of failure and likely ruining the Touch... I decided to go down other paths.

One of those paths has proven to be a good bet. Nowadays you can get a Raspberry Pi (I prefer the 2B model which does not have built-in WiFi) and an Allo.com Kali reclocker and get I2S output. Load the Pi with PiCorePlayer and it runs pretty much just like the Touch... you can even add a screen if you want (I haven't, as I want to keep the electrical activity and noise to a minimum). You can add one of Ian's RPi-I2S adapter to make the hookup easier and an isolator (either Ian's IsolatorPi or the one from Allo.com) to further reduce electrical noise at the Kali. Power it all well and it is a good, solid I2S source. I have one where I use an RPi modified with ldovr.com's RPi power mezzanine to provide very low-noise power for the 3 power rails used on the RPi (1.8V, 3.3V, and 5V) and removed the on-board switching DC-DC converter. This is my best RPi I2S source and is getting into the same realm as a good, but not reference-powered SDTrans384, IMHO.

Also, over at TirNaHiFi.org, they are working with some alternative SD card players and getting good results too. BUT the RPi setup gives easy access to all of one's music library and if done right with only a moderate sonic penalty.

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Sorry, I don't have any of the links to modifying the Touch saved anymore
Old 6th July 2018, 03:51 PM   #1018
diyAudio Member

Default Thank you Greg

That's qute food for thoughts, I noted Soundcheck was really in to the Squeezbox touch but I think he broke his in the end with all the mods?

I quite like the idear of the pi core functionlity but I think you confirmed the Sdtrans has the edge on sonics.......but I do have a Pi 2 in my treasure box.....decisions, decisions, I shall follow up the links you kindely provided Greg and try to weigh it all up ( on the basis of no expearence whatsoever ever)

Cheers for the intrest, I shall follow it all up now!

Very best to you
Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Stewart View Post
Johnny,

A few years back I considered doing the same thing to the Squeezebox Touch. I searched for mods on the units and did find some who had accesses I2S out of the Touch, so it is possible. BUT it looked like a challenging job with a high possibility of failure and likely ruining the Touch... I decided to go down other paths.

One of those paths has proven to be a good bet. Nowadays you can get a Raspberry Pi (I prefer the 2B model which does not have built-in WiFi) and an Allo.com Kali reclocker and get I2S output. Load the Pi with PiCorePlayer and it runs pretty much just like the Touch... you can even add a screen if you want (I haven't, as I want to keep the electrical activity and noise to a minimum). You can add one of Ian's RPi-I2S adapter to make the hookup easier and an isolator (either Ian's IsolatorPi or the one from Allo.com) to further reduce electrical noise at the Kali. Power it all well and it is a good, solid I2S source. I have one where I use an RPi modified with ldovr.com's RPi power mezzanine to provide very low-noise power for the 3 power rails used on the RPi (1.8V, 3.3V, and 5V) and removed the on-board switching DC-DC converter. This is my best RPi I2S source and is getting into the same realm as a good, but not reference-powered SDTrans384, IMHO.

Also, over at TirNaHiFi.org, they are working with some alternative SD card players and getting good results too. BUT the RPi setup gives easy access to all of one's music library and if done right with only a moderate sonic penalty.

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Sorry, I don't have any of the links to modifying the Touch saved anymore
Old 6th July 2018, 05:39 PM   #1019
zonbin is offline zonbin
diyAudio Member

i option Memory Card
Old 6th July 2018, 07:13 PM   #1020
diyAudio Member

Default thank you for the reply

hi Zonbin,

Yes a SGTrans/Ians PCM/Audal DAC.....VS ...Rpi+picore/Kali/Ians PCM/??

If only i had heard them all!!...still not to decide is to decide...there can be only one (but thats not true in DIY Audio is it!!)

johnny

MicroSD Memory Card Transport ProjectHide this!Advertise here!