which clock for analogmetric tda1541A dac kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi ,
I have just completed the Analogmetric tda1541A dac kit ( in nos mode ), and it sounds superb.
My question is that the 11.2896 mhz crystal (shiny little metal box ! ) that came with the unit looks like a generic unit ( probably is ok tho ) and it has four pins on the underside that connect thru the pcb. Can I install something like the LC Audio clock 3..or do I need a direct replacement such as the Tent labs vcxo ??, which should slot straight in.:rolleyes:
Regards

Paul

Hi,

My question is that the 11.2896 mhz crystal (shiny little metal box ! ) that came with the unit looks like a generic unit ( probably is ok tho ) and it has four pins on the underside that connect thru the pcb. Can I install something like the LC Audio clock 3..or do I need a direct replacement such as the Tent labs vcxo ??, which should slot straight in.

First, this clock, if you actually employ it and the CS8412/14 in slave mode restricts you to one single sample rate, but worse, unless the clocks are in very close agreement (<< 1ppm difference) you will notice more or less regular clicks, the degree of audibility depends on music style and may other factors.

A VCXO will not help on this, so no point adding a VCXO, unless you add the required control circuitry.

In order to make this work correctly you actually need to use clocks with high precision of the actual frequency in both transport and DAC. Where clocks are frequency adjusted by the vendor (e.g. LC Audio) rather then selected make sure the clocks come from the same batch.

The other option would be to send this clock to the transport, to slave it to the DAC.

The clock used can be any type that has the required pinout and voltage and yes, clocks that come a s one big PCB like LC Audio and others can be used.

The possibly easiest to install clock is the one I designed for diyhifisupply.com, it comes with adapters that drop in for the common sizes of clocks and crystals and replace them directly and the connected via a twisted pair wire straight to the clock module.

Ciao T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.