Laser for my Linn Karik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The laser head is from Hitachi (go to my website about the button "CDP-Sercice" to get a photo).
I had the Linn Karik been several times for service. The laser unit was still in perfect condition after cleaning. In most cases the disc motor was poor or failured. The original disc motor comes from two different companies:
1) Mabuchi
2) Matsushita

If your disc motor device from Matsushita, replace it through a device from Mabuchi (higer realibility).

Please note, this isn't easy, because you must remove the pressed turntable (motor pulley) and you need new holes for the Mabuchi Motor (because the screw holes for the motor screws are arranged differently) !!!
The last step is the exactly height adjustment of your turntable (motorpulley)
If necessary, did cut the motor shaft.

If you are not a technician and Linn continued service support of this model, I say also: Send it to Linn.

Last edited:
Karik Turntable Motor Failure

By strange coincidence, I powered up my Karik on Thursday night for the first time in a while and left it powered overnight with a disc inside the machine. When I entered the room on Friday there was a strong electrical burning smell coming from the unit. I removed the cover and powered it up. The tray and sled motors are working fine but my turntable motor appears to have died although I haven't stripped it down further yet. My Karik is a II (Ser.4600) and has the HOP-M3 laser. I notice that Donberg have the HOP-M3A mechanism available. Is the M3A compatible with the M3 ?.

By strange coincidence, I powered up my Karik on Thursday night for the first time in a while and left it powered overnight with a disc inside the machine. When I entered the room on Friday there was a strong electrical burning smell coming from the unit. I removed the cover and powered it up. The tray and sled motors are working fine but my turntable motor appears to have died although I haven't stripped it down further yet. My Karik is a II (Ser.4600) and has the HOP-M3 laser. I notice that Donberg have the HOP-M3A mechanism available. Is the M3A compatible with the M3 ?.
The HOP-M3A is compatible only electrical to the HOP-M3. But the connectors uses other place - have a look at the photos of both versions on my website - "CDP-Service"
A. Kirschner, individuelle Basslautsprechersysteme
Perhaps it is also possible to install, but I cannot say exactly, because I have it never tested.
If your Motor from Matsushita instead from Mabuchi (check the logo on your motor housing), your observed failure is typical. If the Motor from Donberg's mechanism comes also from Matsushita, don't order it (call and ask the motor brand before ordering). Mabuchi disc motors are not the best choice, but much more better regarded reliability and life time than this one from Matsushita.
If you find a mechanism with Mabuchi Motor, you can order this and exchange the optical pickup with your currently version, if there by the new device the other connector outline.
If you don't find this, the unpleasant work describted about post #3 must be carried out. If you don't find technicians, that can do this, you can mail me (and then perhaps send me your loader for motor exchange).
In this case I started this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ble-advices-replace-motor-service-wanted.html
The mentioned unpleasant work would be a little more easy, if I have a suitable turntable with set screw for exactly height adjustment instead the old "one-way" version for pressing.

P.S. I have heard, Linn Karik was in use 79.000 h by the sound systems of "Queen Elizabeth II" - to read only in German about
http://www.musik-hifi-stammtisch.de...4&page=1&sid=62e391f9b7c79e168af4cb2a04759beb
I cannot believe this, if a Matsushita disc motor inside

Last edited:
No!

HOP-M3 up to serial number 12999
HOP-M3A is for serial number 13000 or higher

www.lasertrade.de

Laser trays are unavailable.
Second hand Kariks are not that expensive :)

the link don't goes open. I think you mean this:
http://www.lasertrader.de/ (Navigation instruction: Übersicht - HiFi - Linn)

follow Linn Karik devices I find about ebay - item numbers:
120523793903 (570 euros)
200433723142 (566 euros)
120522698660 (599 euros)
180458335921 (300 euros)
Here in Germany the costs for Linn Karik in new condition was more than 2.000 Euro arround 1995

Last edited:
the link don't goes open. I think you mean this:
Gerner Electronics (Navigation instruction: Übersicht - HiFi - Linn)

follow Linn Karik devices I find about ebay - item numbers:
120523793903 (570 euros)
200433723142 (566 euros)
120522698660 (599 euros)
180458335921 (300 euros)
Here in Germany the costs for Linn Karik in new condition was more than 2.000 Euro arround 1995

I bought my Karik in the autumn of 1993. At that time it cost £1500

The HOP-M3A is compatible only electrical to the HOP-M3. But the connectors uses other place - have a look at the photos of both versions on my website - "CDP-Service"
Perhaps it is also possible to install, but I cannot say exactly, because I have it never tested.
If your Motor from Matsushita instead from Mabuchi (check the logo on your motor housing), your observed failure is typical. If the Motor from Donberg's mechanism comes also from Matsushita, don't order it (call and ask the motor brand before ordering). Mabuchi disc motors are not the best choice, but much more better regarded reliability and life time than this one from Matsushita.
If you find a mechanism with Mabuchi Motor, you can order this and exchange the optical pickup with your currently version, if there by the new device the other connector outline.
If you don't find this, the unpleasant work describted about post #3 must be carried out. If you don't find technicians, that can do this, you can mail me (and then perhaps send me your loader for motor exchange).
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ble-advices-replace-motor-service-wanted.html
The mentioned unpleasant work would be a little more easy, if I have a suitable turntable with set screw for exactly height adjustment instead the old "one-way" version for pressing.

P.S. I have heard, Linn Karik was in use 79.000 h by the sound systems of "Queen Elizabeth II" - to read only in German about
Stammtisch für HiFi- und Musik-Freunde | Druckvorschau: LINN–KARIK Heimkehr nach 79.000 Stunden auf See | Seite 1

Thank you for information. The laser block is still working so I was thinking of transplanting the M3 laser onto a new M3A mechanism if possible. I will find out which motor has failed and what make the Donberg mechanism uses. I have the tools and experience to do the work myself but I will post further details about how I get on with it.

I have looked at the drive again. Just to recap, the Karik had played a CD. It was left powered up overnight. The next day the room smelled strongly of something overheating or burned, and this was from the Karik somewhere near the transport and PSU. This is a Karik II with linear (Pre Brilliant) supply. I thought the turntable motor had failed however after more investigation it still works BUT....Load a CD into the tray and press either CLOSE or PLAY. The tray closes and the disc is clamped. The disc briefly rotates clockwise (Viewed on the label side) to try and read the TOC of the disc, but then slows and starts to rotate anti-clockwise at very high speed for a few seconds before coming slowly to rest. After this the only thing that works is the OPEN command, PLAY has no effect. I have measured the voltages on the 3 regulators and they are near enough +15V (U1), +5V (U3) and +9V (U4) which I am assuming is correct.

Compact Disc Motor and Turntable - Advices for Replace and Motor Service wanted - diyAudio

404 Not Found
URL's dead. go to

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.