original meridian mcd cd player problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I still have the first cd player Meridian released, model MCD, which was based on the top loading, no remote, Philips CD100 with their mods.

It very occasionally needed a reboot in the last few years when the leds lighted up permanently, but no other symptoms apart from that.

Now it does not respond to the on/off switch, no leds light up, but when you connect the mains irrespective of being on or off the laser servo has power and does a permanent "dance" looking for a track to lock on to - or so it seems.

Has anyone any experience of this model, or tips on what to look for inside please?

No experience with this model, but what often happens with "old stuff" is oxidation of contacts, sockets, headers...basically everything that can be (un)plugged. Then there is the posibility of solder joints that have torn loose by thermal stress (pretty common). Start there...

I have had several CD100, 101 and the Marantz version, CD63, and have not come across this problem before.

One of the criticisms I have heard of the Meridian version is poor quality soldering on the modifications. (The build quality of the original CD100 was fantastic IMHO ) So I would start by checking for the obvious .. dry joints in the power section and also "suspect" looking electrlytics. plus making sure any socketed chips are reseated, as jitter suggests.

The mains switch is probably 'welded' closed with age. I have a spare somewhere but I would not worry about that for now.

Andy

Hi, thanks for your replies.
The mains switch is still ok as far as the action feels. I just wondered if anyone was familiar with the regulator arrangements since it seems likely something has bypassed the standby circuit by failing? and if the laser has power that would likely be some kind of short?
Now I have to figure out how to get it open.
Thanks again to you both and regards,

There is no standby arrangement. The on/off switch does that !

Opening the case is simply a matter of undoing the screws on the base. (Tape the door closed!)

After that it is fairly straightforward but compact !

I only have a paper copy of the circuits so cannot send you one at the moment.

Andy

That could have been one of the Meridian mods? - from memory - when working correctly you plug in the mains (with the player off) the leds flash and then glow very softly (only seen in dark room), and come fully on when switched on. I suspect they put permanent power to the d/a or analogue buffer or both in the fashionable idea of not having warm up time to get final sound quality?
If that's the case no wonder something has failed after this number of years!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.