Oppo 980 SACD clipping problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There were some reports about the clipping problem encountered for the OPPO 980 while playing certain SACDs.

I encountered the same problem with the Diana Krall When I Look in Your Eyes SACD initially but after I upgraded the original clock to audio-gd clock, the problem went away.

Seems like the problem is clock related.

Hi Million,

Thanks for the info.
I would like to try DIY the audio-gd clock onto my Oppo 970 player. I have a few questions & I’m looking forward to your reply.
1) The audio-gd clock has 2 versions. Am I right to select the one with 27Mhz output?
2) The web-site mentioned that the clock requires 10-30 DC, do u tap the power from the Oppo player or u build a separate power supply for it?
3) What about the original clock inside the Oppo player, do u need to remove it? Do u need to remove any other components inside the player?
4) Do they provide info or schematic on where to connect the clock to the player?
5) There’s a tuning pot on the audio-gd clock, what’s that for?
6) Lastly how is the performance after the audio-gd clock installation? I suppose it improve only the audio section but not the video side.
Thanks & have a nice day.

Here is what I did:

1. For the Oppo 980 I used the 27MHz output audio-gd clock. However, I have removed the original oscillator on the audio-gd clock and put in a 27MHz TCXO oscillator.

2. Currently I am using the +9V DC from the 980 while waiting for the Walt Jung Super Regulator module. I am not sure if it is the voltage (<10 V required) or because of the TCXO, the player needs to warm up before it can be powered up (no such problem with original audio-gd clock).

3. Yes, you need to remove the oscillator and 2 capacitors on the 970 then solder the new clock to the XTOLI or XI and GND. Do a search for LClock XO3 and see the example on their website for clock upgrade.

4. No, you'll have to search the web for the info. I have removed the oscillator and the 2 SMT capacitors (C40 and C41) next to the "104" resistor.

5. No sure about the tuning pot but no need to change or tune the audio-gd clock.

6. Yes, it did improved the sound quite a bit, I have not tested the video performance as I mainly use it for music.

Hope this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.