Upgrade output Shanling CD-S100 MkII

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
CeeVee said:
The 3u3 caps, should they be nonpolar ?

for test - irrelevant
use whatever you have , even mixed (few in parallel )

everything from 3u3 up will do the job .

hehe - just try to have same caps in all 4 legs ........

NB - point of test is to hear have you gained in clarity and "singing "

frequency extremes should be better in final variant , when we adjust all impedance and voltage/current conditions

edit : whatever caps you use - it can't be worse than it is now :rofl:

OPA xxx ........... gimme a break ......... :devilr:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Ok ZM,

Test is done, as for level...i don't see much difference...with or without op-amps, so DAC easily drives UGS.

Guess that is why there is one more Resistor going from pin DAC 20 to both op-amps, one each to where pins 2 and 3 are connected to each other ( this is not in the app-note schematic ).

In terms of tone.....oh yes much better, although ofcourse there is distortion at top end but tone is much more open and true.
Distortion is i guess due to the "beautifull" rat's nest.

I can now believe the piano in Diana Krall's CD, sounds right...and this has been my reference all along, before it sounded dull, not as a piano should, sharp and clean...up front.

by the way i have all same components in both channels.

:D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
CeeVee said:
Ok ZM,

Test is done, as for level...i don't see much difference...with or without op-amps, so DAC easily drives UGS.

Guess that is why there is one more Resistor going from pin DAC 20 to both op-amps, one each to where pins 2 and 3 are connected to each other ( this is not in the app-note schematic ).

In terms of tone.....oh yes much better, although ofcourse there is distortion at top end but tone is much more open and true.
Distortion is i guess due to the "beautifull" rat's nest.

I can now believe the piano in Diana Krall's CD, sounds right...and this has been my reference all along, before it sounded dull, not as a piano should, sharp and clean...up front.

by the way i have all same components in both channels.

:D

OK - while you still have rat's nest - try to vary our I/V resistor values - say - from 820 to 2K2 ...... and try to find value where overall sound is at best ;

you can also try to decrease these 4n3 caps ...... gradually to 2n7

hehe

just for my pleasure - give me few pics of rat's nest ........ ;)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Of course ZM,
I'll post today's rat's nest in awhile but more tests only for tomorrow.
I'm preparing for a conference next week....I'll be all week in Oostende ( north Belgium ) but i'll be able to do a few more tests until Thursday...after that it's a whole week for your fertile mind to think on the issue...along with all others here of course.;)

Attachments

• rats2.jpg
    rats2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 889
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
CeeVee said:
Of course ZM,
I'll post today's rat's nest in awhile but more tests only for tomorrow.
I'm preparing for a conference next week....I'll be all week in Oostende ( north Belgium ) but i'll be able to do a few more tests until Thursday...after that it's a whole week for your fertile mind to think on the issue...along with all others here of course.;)

on second thought - try altering values of those 4n3 first , and later try to alter values of resistors ;

bon voyage ....... in any case ........ (manu - did I wrote it OK ?)

:rofl:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
CeeVee said:
A closer look.

Just a thought; i did not lift the caps in parallel with the resistors,

Guess i need to do this and test again.
Also maintained the 100n caps to ground.

I didn't saw that post of yours , while typing previous .....

be sure that output pins at DAC are completely free of any load ( form original circuit ), be it cap or resistor

you remember that I don't know exactly how that output configuration looks in Drekling .......

100n to ground ?
where ?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
don't wish me bon voyage yet...you will here more from me this week before i go.

I'm the one that can´t wait to hear the Shanling singing properly.

On a curiosity note: i was looking at the Shanling CD-200T board, a picture on the web....and you would not believe it..., same DAC but more interestingly...same output, even board layout.

..cookbook ?:cool:

...100n on board are the C11, C12 and C21, C22 on schematic you posted from data sheet.
They are still in, should i lift them as well to have a clean output from the DAC ?

What i'll do before i go is post an exact schematic, ill get it from the PCB by tomorrow, np.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
CeeVee said:
don't wish me bon voyage yet...you will here more from me this week before i go.

I'm the one that can´t wait to hear the Shanling singing properly.

On a curiosity note: i was looking at the Shanling CD-200T board, a picture on the web....and you would not believe it..., same DAC but more interestingly...same output, even board layout.

..cookbook ?:cool:

you can give me that link ....

anyway - if you wanna Cook Book and dedicated output stage , you must send me one - for testing and later proper disposal ........ :devilr:

CeeVee said:

...100n on board are the C11, C12 and C21, C22 on schematic you posted from data sheet.
They are still in, should i lift them as well to have a clean output from the DAC ?

What i'll do before i go is post an exact schematic, ill get it from the PCB by tomorrow, np.

desolder them promptly ; they're choking output in our raw topology.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
..hehe, i was trying to say that the chinese have a cookbook for Shanlings,...1 of this + 2 of that...another Shanling out the door.

as for the link here it is...although i suspect you already know it.:

http://www.lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/REFERENCES/SHANLING T200/Shanling CD player.html

picture of output is halfway down the article.

I'll clean up the offending caps in mine to clean up the signal and report tomorrow hopefully.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Well, certainly much more open and in terms of tone also more believable.

But that top end distortion is spoiling the picture right now, it's only noticed at the very highest frequencies...but that is where the detail is.

I'm hoping that the reduction in parallel capacity will eliminate this, will see.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
CeeVee said:
Hi ZM,

Yes i got rid of those caps so there is , as far as i can see, no load whatsoever on DAC except Rat's nets and preamp.

As for preamp. here is the picture of exact values i have.

UGS

then start lowering those 1k2 resistors ;
1k , then 820, then 600

even if output signal will decrease ( you have enough gain in UGS ) , you'll have idea what's happening with that HF smearing

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Ok ZM will do,

Been reading a bit, it seems that the 4n7 cap..in my case, not 4n3 as you specified, is just for digital clock filtering, so that clock noise does not get into the audio.

Which would mean that it has to be in the elcos, the cause for the HF smearing ?

Or do you think i have clipping of output and the resulting harmonics are the smearing i hear ?

Because there is only HF smearing on louder and brighter notes.

If so the lowering of the output R would cure this ....will try, as you prescribe.

!?!?:xeye:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.