Upgrade output Shanling CD-S100 MkII

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi guys,

I'm starting the thread because it does not make mutch sense in the UGS one, although it happens as direct conclusion of tests with the Shanling and the UGS.

It seems like the Shanling suffers from a severe bout of DAC output overengineering...as a result the sound is ....nothing to write home about.

Here are pictures of the output section...with it's 6 op-amps.

I'm counting on the knowledge, wisdom and goodwill of ZM to help me along here, ...to get this thingy to sing !

DAC is:1738
Op-amps: OPA604AP and one double OPA2604AP

Attachments

• output-original.jpg
    output-original.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,660
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yes ZM, you are right ( I said so in my first post )

Dac is BB1738E, only one, the one in the picture i uploaded.
Reciever is Cirrus Logic CS8420Cs.
the 3 legged thingie you see next to the DAC chip is a 317 regulator.

Available voltages are:

+15V,-15V, +5V, +3.3 V on the DAC board, also +25V on the display board.

The silkscreen is very clearly labeled on all connectors, even the signals between receiver chip and DAC are labeled!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
CeeVee said:
Yes ZM, you are right ( I said so in my first post )

Dac is BB1738E, only one, the one in the picture i uploaded.
Reciever is Cirrus Logic CS8420Cs.
the 3 legged thingie you see next to the DAC chip is a 317 regulator.

Available voltages are:

+15V,-15V, +5V, +3.3 V on the DAC board, also +25V on the display board.

The silkscreen is very clearly labeled on all connectors.

hehe- you edited your first post ( adding DAC ) , but I didn't looked after ..........

so - one PCM

probably something straight from datasheet :

Attachments

• usual.jpg
    usual.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,519
Joined 2006
Paid Member
..It's a safe bet, they just followed the app note, but i'll take the board out just to check, it's easy.
At least the number of op-amps is right, 6 !....6 too many?

Finished checking.
...yep, that's the schematic they used.

All small electros and yellow nonpolar are power supply filtering.

Only the caps at the output are added by them ( initial picture , big white caps, large elctrolytics and relay...).:cool:

...from another forum:

The '1738 has differential current output and no opamps, so you can mess around a bunch with the I/V stage. Lotsa versatility.

That sounds good!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
CeeVee said:
..It's a safe bet, they just followed the app note, but i'll take the board out just to check, it's easy.
At least the number of op-amps is right, 6 !....6 too many?

Finished checking.
...yep, that's the schematic they used.

All small electros and yellow nonpolar are power supply filtering.

Only the caps at the output are added by them ( initial picture , big white caps, large elctrolytics and relay...).:cool:

OK - I need some time to think what solution is easiest and have best PITA/result ratio ;)

can you measure DC voltages ( ref. to gnd ) on pins 16,17 and 20 ?

do not measure directly at DAC pins , but on traces or - even better - on adequate OP pins

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Stones said:

I don't understand why you need the reciever, could be worth while if you can remove it.

As for the output stage a real easy thing would be to try the D1 output stage.

ceevee mention receiver just as info ;
hehe - even if I think that he certainly need that receiver , for functional cd ......... ;)

D1 - in original - if used for this ,balanced out DAC........ sorta sad/half solution - using just one I leg of DAC ;
yes , with D1 he'll have bal out ( needed for his UGS based preamp , but still just unbal input in D1 ;

makin' balanced in D1 , or anything like that - certainly messier than plain resistive I/V with xformer , with or w/o output buffer .

if I calculated correctly - 1738 gives enough voltage directly for line output ;

while we are at it ........ CeeVee - can you make small test :

-toss out all OPamps ;
-put 1k2 parallel with 4n3 - between + and - I outputs (DAC pins 17 and 16 , 25 and 26 ,respectively ) ;
-desolder one side of resistor placed across I/V conversion/filter OPamps (first to DAC);
-route output signal (via 3u3 in each (+/-) leg to output ;

-just listen - if you like what you hear in that raw test , we are on something ;)

I hope that I'm clear enough , without attaching schmtc

edit:

attached test schematic

Attachments

• usual.jpg
    usual.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,065
Zen Mod said:

ceevee mention receiver just as info ;
hehe - even if I think that he certainly need that receiver , for functional cd ......... ;)

I think you miss the point, If you need a receiver for it to work, you might as well consider an outboard DAC. If not for the separate supplies alone then consider that you can mod it without risking loss of music while playing with it and having a direct baseline (however good or bad) to judge against.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Stones said:

I think you miss the point, If you need a receiver for it to work, you might as well consider an outboard DAC. If not for the separate supplies alone then consider that you can mod it without risking loss of music while playing with it and having a direct baseline (however good or bad) to judge against.

thread title is ( at least for start) "upgrade output ....... "

mentioned receiver is existing part in sayed CD player ;

I really don't care about receiver issue , at least in this moment .......... considering intentions of original poster

Stones said:

The CS8420 is not just a tranceiver but an upsampler as well...

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thanks guys for a very lively discussion, and yes the as ZM says i just mentioned the reciever as info, to transmit a picture, so to speak.

It is indeed an upsampler as well, 96k/24bit.

and as ZM says' the original idea is to upgrade a bad DAC output stage, but it could go further if the conclusion/test show that that is the way to go....and ZM is willing/interested.

For myself i'm certainly open to sugestions that will get this " cookbook" CD player to produce decent sound.

For now i'll do the testing you sugest ZM, later today ...for now the guys flying the planes need my atention.

edit: ahhh the transformers,...no i don't have any, since i will need them what do you sugest i get ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.