soundcards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
ghg said:
@Gordy

>If you go for a PCI soundcard make sure to check PCI level compatibility.
>The EMU1212 does not work with the newest (level 3) PCI bus.

Interesting; which motherboard did you use for this test ?

BR

Gary G.

I was interested in purchasing the 1212 and e-mailed EMU to check compatibility with my PC which has only PCI 3. EMU replied, saying that it was not compatible.

I'm probably going to get an Echo Falls Audiofire2. It does all you ask for, the only "downside" is that it is external and uses Firewire. If you can ignore the cosmetic issue of an external box, fans claim it is less susceptible to interference being in a shielded case and has a better supply, and the Firewire interface means lowest possible latency which is important for automated (sampling) tests and mic measurements. The whole lot including a Fireware card (if your motherboard doesn't have it already) can be found here for significantly less than £200.

What I want to say is that I have come to an opinion that no internal card can compare with a CD player or external DAC until digital and analog grounds on the card are isolated.
A few weeks ago I discovered that the analog and digital grounds on my external DAC have not been isolated, because they have been erroneously connected through RCA sockets.
When I corrected that mistake the sound of my external DIY DAC on AD1851 dramatically changed for the better.
So if you consider buying or upgrading a sound card I suggest you closely inspect it and see whether analog ground of the DAC chip is isolated from the digital ground. If not then throw this card away and buy a decent external DAC!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.