saa7030 removal help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry guys to bring this old post up again.

As discussed :

to rfbrw:
Hi, I tried removing the saa7030 in my Marantz cd-54 and just connect the following with wire.
Pin20 DLCF to Pin3 DLFD.
Pin17 DRCF to Pin10 DRFD.
Pin18 /CLCF to Pin6 /CLFD.
Pin21 STR1 to Pin7 LAT.

Now there is a problem here on the last wire connection. Pin 7 goes nowhere on the saa7030 in this unit. It is not soldered. So I connected the first three only. The removal of the saa7030 did not work. The sound was very distorted and unbearable. Something was wrong. (I placed the saa7000 in 16 bit mode also. +5v via 1k to pin 16).
pin 21 on the saa7030 is only strobed by the saa7000 and pin 7 is open circuit. I looked at the circuit diagram for the cd-54 and found that the LE lead(pin 2 of the tda1540) is directly connected to the saa7000 pin11 (which is the LAT output). This mod did not work for me. Can someone tell me what I did wrong?
I would very much appreciate it.
Regards

Interesting that you are mentioning this today, as I am about to do the same thing on my Philips CD104.

I found the following instruction:

- remove TDA7030 completely - in place of TDA7030 connect four wire bridges:
pin 20 - pin 3
pin 17 - pin 10
pin 18 - pin 6
pin 21 - pin 7
- de-solder only pin 16 on SAA7000 with a solder wick and make sure pin 16 "floats", it does not make any contact the circuit board. (or simply cut the trace) - solder a 1K resistor on top of SAA7000, between pin 16 and pin 18 (to put SAA7000 in 14 bit mode, because TDA1540 needs 14 bit)

I am too much of a newbie to know what's happening, but it sounds easy enough.

Greetings from sunny :smash: Germany,
Wolfram

all fixed

For anyone who wants to do this modification on a Marantz cd-54 the following proceedure needs to be done.

Pin20 DLCF to Pin3 DLFD.
Pin17 DRCF to Pin10 DRFD.
Pin18 /CLCF to Pin6 /CLFD.
pin16 to +5v via 1K resistor.

The connections above are all ok. As mentioned before the dacs are strobed directly from the saa7000 on pin11 (str2). This needs to be cut and rerouted to pin12 (str1). Pin12 of the saa7000 does actually connect to pin 21 of the saa7030 but the output (pin 7) is not connected to anything.

The above mentioned is the only difference in this model. Maybe other models might be the same.

reclocking cct

Hi Oshifis..
I am interested in putting thr reclocking cct. where the saa7030 was. What will I benefit from this? Will it maintain better stability?
I have isolated the +5v rails between the saa7000 and the two dacs. If I was to implement this cct. Which +5v line should I use? (My oppinion is to use the saa7000 +5v Supply since the Xtal is on this supply aswell).
Please let me know.
Regards
Billy D...

Hi Billy,

The reclocking circuit is for reducing the jitter of the STR1 (latch) signal that defines the start of data conversion. It reduces the jitter close to the jitter of the master clock. It makes sense only if you use an external good quality clock circuit, not the buit-in clock of the SAA7000. That good quality clock needs a separate high-stability power supply.

In other words, using the reclocking with the built-in clock of the SAA7000 makes no sense.

Sorry, I cannot. There are some good clocks around (Kwak, Tent, etc.) mentioned even on this forum. I have no experience with them. I use a modified big Motorola TCXO module, where I replaced the original crystal. Not sure if it is better than those specially low-jitter clocks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.