Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Haha

I thought the same a long while back too.
Didn't dare say it - bravo man.
But hey - it can't be denied - it looks fantastic and no one complains about sound quality or reliability.
previously in my local Facebook group which is in english like 'Being Cheap...Yea' which started years ago on finding cheap earphone in range of $20 but sounds good and now most of the posted item above the sky like senn hd 800, AK player. I posted 'where is the cheap part?' then i got kicked immediately by the admin :)
hopefully i'm not kicked this time... peace

What I consider as affordable related is the performance/price ratio. Compared with initial Shigaclone that Peter Daniel started this thread, Shiga MKII was evolved a lot and now offer even better performance/price ratio. So I may still call this affordable for the value you get. :)

Regards,
Tibi
no hard feeling tibi, not trying to offend your finished product which looks amazing, I just want to get a real cheap player to play with without worrying too much on my pocket.

previously i used qls550 as my digital player, never thought cdp at all. but when i read lampizator post about the pioneer dv300 and how cheap it was, the next best thing was i also could find the item eventhough it was second hand then I just immediately put my qls in my drawer after realizing how good the transport.

along all my audio gears, dac-preamp-amplifiers-loudspeaker all diy'ed by me except the cdp. still looking for the option

Shiga MKII high grade with Zeno low noise regulator

Anyone interested ? :) PM or mail me.

Moded CD mechanic.
Tentlabs clock with separate Zeno supply.
2 miniregs
Bronze cd puck.
Mundorf EVO Silver-Gold and Zfoil resistors.
Low noise PIN detector reference with ADP151.

Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• IMG_1257.jpg
    IMG_1257.jpg
    835.6 KB · Views: 989
  • IMG_1258.jpg
    IMG_1258.jpg
    819.7 KB · Views: 979
  • IMG_1268.jpg
    IMG_1268.jpg
    789 KB · Views: 952
Last edited by a moderator:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Tibi

With the bronze puck my unit often struggles to spin up to speed enough to read TOC or play thereafter. Aluminium puck has no problem.

This means I have to manually give the puck a spin to help it along but this does not work all the time. I worry about the strain on the motor.

I’ve lubricated the spindle with some silicon based lube and will check this again.

Is it possible to increase the current a little to the motor or another way to give it a bit more juice?

Thanks

Joined 2016
Paid Member
If I add add extra trafo (the same) and an additional Psu - both of which I have, will this allow me to devote one trafo/Psu to the motor to give enough oomph?

This should not happen. Shiga will operate perfectly with bronze puck.
Can you provide a picture of your implementation ?
Does your trafo deliver min. 9Vac at min 2A ?

Regards,
Tibi

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Just tried with a vanilla mechanism/laser - all ok.

So will have to start the laser mods again. Ive long known the one I have been using was a bit suspect but I am surprised by the randomness and range of issues that that attempt at the laser mods has thrown up. I'll start with the easy (relatively) mods on the laser pins and trim pot and test to be sure they are sound before I go over to the more tricky ones on the tape.

Thanks for your attention.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
For arguments sake I swapped my previously modded laser to a new mechanism and this fixed all my woes?! Seems that the problem was not my soldering but something on the mechanism board itself - possibly one or more of the pins at the connector has got cracked as a result of many plugging/unplugging instances? Will have a closer look at some point. But for now happy to be back with the full monty of laser mods.

Original 47Lab Shigaraki transport issues... Tvicol....

Happy Holidays to everyone. I have a Shigaraki transport since around 2005 or so.... In the past few years I have had to change the cd mechanism at least once a year. Said machinism is the 15 pin model and it looks exactly the same as the original. I thought these mechanisms I order thru EBay, which cost around $25 were by Sanyo, but from what I've read here they might not be... Anyway they don't seem to last more than a year. The latest one, bought 6 or 7 months ago seems to be misbeheaving. Lately, it seems, that if I have the unit ON for many hours it starts to play cd's like in a FF mode and makes a clac, clac noise repeatedly. I turn it off install my Oppo 93 as a transport and so it goes. Later on I can reinstall the Shigaraki, plays well for 2 days or so, and there it goes again. So what could be going on here? I know it has a lot of years of service and appreciate that the cd mechanism, albeit, apparently not the best one, is still obtainable. And what would the difference between the 15 and 16 pin mechanism be, in the quality sense, though I realize I cannot use it. Thanks!

Original 47Lab Shigaraki transport issues... Tvicol....

Happy Holidays to everyone. I have a Shigaraki transport since around 2005 or so.... In the past few years I have had to change the cd mechanism at least once a year. Said machinism is the 15 pin model and it looks exactly the same as the original. I thought these mechanisms I order thru EBay, which cost around $25 were by Sanyo, but from what I've read here they might not be... Anyway they don't seem to last more than a year. The latest one, bought 6 or 7 months ago seems to be misbeheaving. Lately, it seems, that if I have the unit ON for many hours it starts to play cd's like in a FF mode and makes a clac, clac noise repeatedly. I turn it off install my Oppo 93 as a transport and so it goes. Later on I can reinstall the Shigaraki, plays well for 2 days or so, and there it goes again. So what could be going on here? I know it has a lot of years of service and appreciate that the cd mechanism, albeit, apparently not the best one, is still obtainable. And what would the difference between the 15 and 16 pin mechanism be, in the quality sense, though I realize I cannot use it. Thanks!

Joined 2016
Paid Member
JVC RC-EZ51 Shigaclone

Had the guts out of the original boombox Shigaclone sitting around as they were redundant once I got Tibi's Shiga Black. Over the last 3 weeks I've had a lot of fun making this for my brother as a 50th birthday gift.

Very happy with how it turned out and this morning just solved the issue that I was having with CDs skipping. Just waiting for the NC tactile switch so I can wire in the TOC button - otherwise it is complete!

Except for the aluminium plate which was guillotine cut to order, the drilling and machining is all hand tools. At $2 each the 400g plumb bob feet are a great find and I am going back to the hardware store to buy out their full stock! (there is a smaller size that will look great attached to speaker boxes).

Attachments

• IMG_2090.JPG
    IMG_2090.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_2089.JPG
    IMG_2089.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 914
  • IMG_2092.JPG
    IMG_2092.JPG
    328.3 KB · Views: 890
  • IMG_2088.JPG
    IMG_2088.JPG